Starbucks Italia Digital - Scott P.'s Review
Posted: August 25, 2006, 10:31am
Starbucks Italia Digital

Arrow The Starbucks Italia Digital has 21 Reviews
Arrow The Starbucks Italia Digital has been rated 7.92 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since February 24, 2004.
Arrow Starbucks Italia Digital reviews have been viewed 140,624 times (updated hourly).

Dan Cascioppo 8.12
Ernie Scheidl 7.88
Andrew Brady 7.20
Gary Howarth 7.00
Kevin Clifford 7.00

Writer's Expertise: I live coffee Would Buy Again: No
Bottom Line: Don't buy anything made by Saeco as there are many other far superior espresso machines on the market made and sold by companies who actually care about their products and customers.

Easy to use, clean. Looks are ok

Too many plastic parts, including steam valve which just had to be replaced out of warranty by authorized Saeco repair staion at a cost of $143.00 plus shipping. Plastic door which on inside has prong for indication of "door closed" wears out very easy. Lack of customer service and very rude customer service from Saeco as blamed everything on the customer.

First, I must say I cleaned this machine on a regular basis, including descaling, cleaning the brew unit every week and also cleaning the steam wand after every use by running hot water through the nozzle after steaming milk.  Saeco automatically assumed and accused me of not taking care of the machine and it was always my fault. Machine has always leaked way too much water, partly my fault for not returning it when new, but could not find receipt and neither Starbucks nor Saeco would do anything about it.  I had the original box, plus warranty card was filled out and sent in when purchased, also Starbucks customer service had all of my information from warranty card in their computers but would not help me at all.  I also had the business card from the manager at the local Starbucks where I purchased the machine but the manager had moved and no one was of any help after numerous phone calls.

Now the really bad part is I sent the machine in to the only authorized repair station in my area(Houston, TX, 4th largest city in nation) according to Saecos web-site and paid over $140.00 to replace the steam valve, which is a $30.00 part.  I received the machine after about one week and the top back screws were totally left out so when I went to pick the machine up out of the box the top came off as it was not even put back together.  I called both the repair station in TX and Saeco to report the problem and was told sorry we must have left the screws out and we will mail them to you and you can fix it.  I then went to turn the machine on and got the message"brew unit missing".  I called Saeco and was told that the contact must be loose or maybe not put back together properly so I would have to send it back again at my expense.  After arguing I wasn't going to pay for return shipment Saeco agreed to pay for return shipment but was told they were doing me a big favor even though I had paid for the full repair out of warranty and also paid shipment both ways for the repair which when I received my machine back it was in much worse shape than before, wouldn't work at all.  Saeco blamed the faulty PLASTIC steam valve on me and has since replaced the plastic valve with a brass valve and discontinued the Digital Italia.  I highly recommend staying away from anything made by Saeco as their customer service is terrible to say the least.

Buying experience was great initially but lack of follow up service.  I am writing this review not only because of the quality of the machine, but also  the fact that I paid for the repair and the repair was done improperly and machine is now unuseable and total lack of customer service by Saeco.  Saeco asked why I am not targeting my anger towards the repair station and my answer is either Saeco should repair the machines themselves or take the heat when their "only authorized" repair staion doesn't do quality work and doesn't offer to pay for the mistake of their workmanship.  Saeco outsources the repair work, both in and out of warranty for one reason, it is cheaper for them.  The digital Italia is discontinued and Starbucks no longer sells Saeco so I am left with the assumption that this isn't all my fault that the machine is broken and that I have had poor customer service.

Posted: August 25, 2006, 10:31am
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.19327378273)