Starbucks Barista - Loren B's Review
Posted: September 27, 2007, 12:15am

Arrow Starbucks Barista reviews have been viewed 1,011,376 times (updated hourly).

Dave Jahsman 8.00

Owned for: 2 weeks Overall 9
Bottom Line: If you can find one, go for it!   Make sure you use a  non pressurized portafilter and a good grinder with it (or modify your Starbucks Barista Grinder as I have)

great espresso machine, fantastic price

heavy machine

I have been into espresso for some years now, I have owned a Starbucks Athena (which I have replaced with this Starbucks Barista machine
and the Starbucks Barista grinder.
I had to look hard to find this machine for 99 bucks (they are sold out everywhere since they are being blown out by Starbucks)

Here is how I have turned my espresso into great espresso with this machine.
I got a non- pressured portafilter off the net (used for the Saeco Via Veneto) - check out Saeco parts
Also, I got a 52 mm stainless steel tamp made by barista basics with a very slight curve - almost flat.
I put felt pads on the rear rubber pads only to move the machine on my counter , yet provide stability with the front rubber pads.
I  modified my Starbucks Barista grinder to a finer grind (by moving the ring inside counter clockwise two holes from the factory setting ..
(look up Starbucks Barista grinder hack on Google)
I don't have the machine tamp anymore, the grind is so fine.. a light tamp from my barista basics tamp is good enough, I don't have to tightly tamp
the portafilter on the machine.
I preinfuse the coffee until it just starts to drip out and slows down on the pull.
I don't pull a one ounce shot from one shot of ground coffee .. I pull 1/2 to 3/4 oz - this gives me  oily, thick, rich espresso  - about as good as the shots I get from my local espresso shop
I now don't feel the need to spend lots of bucks on a higher end espresso machine and grinder

great, except I had to really look hard to find a new one .

Posted: September 27, 2007, 12:15am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.180422067642)