Solis SL-90 - Susie L (Roxie's mom)'s Review
Solis SL-90
Arrow Amazon

Arrow The Solis SL-90 has 26 Reviews
Arrow The Solis SL-90 has been rated 7.98 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Solis SL-90 reviews have been viewed 112,936 times (updated hourly).

Rick Waits 9.50
Rohan Durrant 9.50
Rob Novak 7.87
Mark Thacker 7.66
Mark Prince 7.63

Manufacturer: Solis/Saeco Quality: 10
Where Bought: 1st Line Aesthetics 10
Bottom Line: IMO, best home machine in the $400 and less category.

Works well.  Steams well.

Can't think of any.

I’ve had the Solis SL90 2 ½ years and am very pleased with this purchase.  This is an automatic that can also be used as a manual.  (I don’t know if that’s standard on other automatics.)  I’m not a purist, so I’m quite content to place my cup under the spouts, press the double shot button & go do something else during the time the shot is pulled.  The housing on this machine is plastic, so if you dislike paying this kind of $$ for plastic, this is not the machine for you.  I had already owned two steam toys & was upgrading from a Krups Espresso Vivo.  Once I narrowed the choice down to a Silvia or the SL-90, the reasons I selected this machine are that Mark (Coffeekid) Prince said this machine steamed like an engine (I do lots of lattes, ‘chinos, mochas), the footprint (the Silvia is deeper, the SL-90 wider & the SL-90 was better suited to the space I had available) and I liked the fact I could get it in white.  (Yes, I know 99% of you are rolling your eyes – it’s a ‘girl thing.’)  Other reasons I liked this machine is that it has a large reservoir and I liked the idea of the cup warmer, although in practice, I rarely use it.

Don’t buy this machine for the built in tamper.  Nice idea, but it just doesn’t work.

Since I’m a high end coffee consumer (I normally drink at least 48 ounces of coffee each day – I know, not good), drip is what I drink most often, simply due to the ‘return of investment’ & ease of cleanup.  I consider espresso beverages as treats/rewards.  Therefore, I use this machine only an average of 3-4 times per week.

Although I purchased the machine, the support was from Kyle Anderson at Baratza.  There have only been three things I needed support for.  The first time I used the machine, I turned the steamer too far “off”.  The next day, it wouldn’t work.  The second time, I wanted to boost the brew temp on the machine.  Third, when I replaced my old dishwasher, the new one melted the drip tray (old dishwasher did not) and I needed a replacement.  All three times, the support was fast & very pleasant.

I really like this machine and would buy it again.

Buying experience was great.

Posted: March 12, 2003, 2:42pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.241688013077)