Solis SL-90 - Scott Jensen's Review
Posted: July 6, 2002, 5:05pm
Solis SL-90

Arrow The Solis SL-90 has 26 Reviews
Arrow The Solis SL-90 has been rated 7.98 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Solis SL-90 reviews have been viewed 108,692 times (updated hourly).

Rick Waits 9.50
Rohan Durrant 9.50
Rob Novak 7.87
Mark Thacker 7.66
Mark Prince 7.63

Manufacturer: Solis/Saeco Quality: 9
Where Bought: Sweet Marias Aesthetics 9
Writer's Expertise: Aficionado Would Buy Again: Maybe
Bottom Line: A very nice home espresso machine, will produce a good shot.

A nice looking compact machine that is well designed, simple to use and able to produce a good shot of espresso.

Has plenty of steam,  does a good job of micro frothing milk for your lattes.

You can set the shot volumes, and the machine auto shuts off when the volume is reached.

Nice reservoir size, easy to remove and fill up.

Comes with a built in tamper, be sure to buy a decent one!

Takes about 30 seconds to switch to steam, and about a minute to switch back.

I sold my large Faema because it was too much work- cleaning and maintaining.  I also wanted a unit I could keep in the kitchen.  I think my initial disappointment was from taking this big step down, and also because I didn't have a quality grinder to use with it. I disliked it so much I set it on a shelf for about 6 months.  Then I bought a decent grinder and tried the SL-90 again.  I was able to make some great shots with it, great latte's and cappuccinos.  The grinder really enabled me to get the best this machine offers- be sure you buy a decent one!

I also recommend buying a non-pressurized basket for it.  If you want a great shot it's the only way to go.  I never did get the crema enhancing baskets to work for me.

Write the Manufacture- Baratza- and talk to Josie, there is a modification to increase the temperature of the water at the brew head.  It is an easy mod to do if you are at all mechanical.  It will increase the temperature to at about 200F.

So to recap:  I think this is a nice machine, get a decent grinder, a metal tamper, non-pressurized basket and do the mod.  With a little practice you will pull better shots than 90% of the cafes I have been to.

Sweet Maria's- I can't say enough!  Great people, great service!

Posted: July 6, 2002, 5:05pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.181896924973)