Solis SL-70 - Ethan Hartman's Review
Posted: April 28, 2007, 11:52am
Solis SL-70

Arrow The Solis SL-70 has 25 Reviews
Arrow The Solis SL-70 has been rated 7.21 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Solis SL-70 reviews have been viewed 113,139 times (updated hourly).

MW Madden 9.00
Steve Boothe 8.50
James Schulman 8.50
Fr. John Abraham 8.29
Mike Prince 8.20

Manufacturer: Solis Quality: 7
Where Bought: Don't remember Aesthetics 4
Similar Items Owned: Gaggia Classic
Bottom Line: Best-in-class steaming makes this unit a compelling value.

Possibly the best value in espresso under $1000.  Real espresso and unbelievable steam power.

A few flaws out of the box -- pressurized baskets and 53mm size.  And it's ugly compared to the competition.

I've used this machine for a couple lattes every morning for a little more than a year, with the occasional guest coming over.  This machine is legit, and I haven't yet experienced the reliability problems some people mention.

I have, however, come to some conclusions about the machine.  First, and most importantly, the espresso quality is not quite as good as a 58mm machine.  I'd had a sneaking suspicion for awhile, but recently I did a direct comparison, using the same grinder and coffee with a Gaggia Classic.  The espresso with the Classic seemed more expressive of the single-origin Yirgi I was using; the aroma jumped out of the cup and the flavor seemed creamy and balanced.  With the SL70, the coffees always seem dominated by chocolate and roast notes, and the aromas a bit muted.  I think that this may be related to temperature, but the difference was unmistakable.

A couple other minor issues: I had a bit of trouble getting a non-pressurized basket for the machine.  It took a month or so, and that really handicaps the machine.  Also, the pod adapter basket has a tendency to trap water inside it, making the pods even more watery than they need to be.  And yes, it's ugly and plasticky.  A Rancilio or Gaggia looks better on the counter; or a Francis Francis, if you're really into looks over performance.  Also, I really do miss the 3-way solenoid, which I didn't expect to.  The pressure relief really speeds up pulling multiple shots (even just two.)

However, this machine seriously outclasses all the competition in one aspect: steaming power.  It's a night and day kind of difference.  The micro switch kicks on the boiler while steaming and you don't lose power at all.  This is why I bought the machine, and the first time I used it I was amazed, especially coming from the Gaggia, which is frankly underpowered for steaming.  The thing just cranks out the steam, and makes beautiful, latte-art microfoam very easily if you've got the chops.

When you weigh it all out, it's a bit hard to come to conclusions.  This is absolutely the winner if you're a latte/cap drinker.  If you're a total espresso nut, you should probably buy a Gaggia if you're OK with the aluminum boiler, or a Silvia if you want to spend more money.  However, for me, the price point combined with the best-in-class steaming capability sealed the deal.

However, there is one more thing to consider: at some point, I will PID this machine if possible.  At that point, it's a whole new ballgame.

No problems.  I think it might have been a link from "onsale.com" but I'm not sure.  I believe that all the items ship from Cafe West Distribution, and they do a good job.  I think the item was triple-boxed.

I've had this for more than one year, actually, but I recently found out something very important about this machine: most of these machines come from the factory with their over-pressure valves set far too high.  The pump on these units is capable of 19 bar, nearly twice the ideal brewing pressure, and the over-pressure valve would open only rarely before I adjusted it.  It's a necessary adjustment.  For instructions see this thread: Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

Some people have apparently complained about corrosion or reliability issues with this machine, but, even several years on, I have not encountered any, knock on wood.  I recently had the machine open, and everything was ship-shape; just something to take into account if you're thinking of buying a secondhand unit.

Posted: April 28, 2007, 11:52am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.191420078278)