Solis SL-70 - Ly Foley's Review
Posted: May 15, 2009, 6:40pm
Solis SL-70

Arrow The Solis SL-70 has 25 Reviews
Arrow The Solis SL-70 has been rated 7.21 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Solis SL-70 reviews have been viewed 113,100 times (updated hourly).

MW Madden 9.00
Steve Boothe 8.50
James Schulman 8.50
Fr. John Abraham 8.29
Mike Prince 8.20

Manufacturer: Solis Quality: 7
Where Bought: prefer not to say Aesthetics 5
Writer's Expertise: Just starting Would Buy Again: Yes
Bottom Line: Would I recommend it to a friend? YES

Nice starting machine
quality of the "inside"
produce more steam than needed for foaming milk

looks cheap, the front panel is glued on a "lumpy surface"
filter size: 53 mm instead of 58 mm which seems to be a standard size

I bought it based on what I read here.  I originally wanted to buy a super-automatic but taste test done in the stores and at home on machine on loan convinced us to go to a semi-automatic.

Have been making 6 to 10 drink a day from the start. The Solis gives me coffee that I'm proud of offering to my espresso drinking friends.

But please note that:
I'm not a coffeegeek I wanted something to turn on, make my espresso and not worry about it. I don't want to learn temp surfing, PID, etc..
There was no way I was going to spend a thousand dollars or more  on a semi-automatic espresso machine.
And that following what I read here, I spent as much for my grinder as I did for the Solis which helps make the SL-70 make good coffee.

Both my wife and I had never used a similar machine and used it after reading the instruction without problems. We got better with time but the first espresso were drinkable.

The only major problem I have found is after using it for a couple of weeks, I cannot tolerate the espresso offered at most restaurant around here.

Bought it online and the less I say about that store the better I will feel

It's really more than a year but still working great and still doing 6 to 10 drink a day.
Spending  $1k or more on a machine does not seems impossible now. But unless this one breaks it won't happen.

There is a discussion on the forum on the SL-70 about the OPV and other subject. If you own one you should read it.

Posted: May 15, 2009, 6:40pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.189344882965)