Saeco Vienna - Jay Martin's Review
Posted: May 29, 2005, 7:48pm
Saeco Vienna

Arrow The Saeco Vienna has 14 Reviews
Arrow The Saeco Vienna has been rated 7.17 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Saeco Vienna reviews have been viewed 67,597 times (updated hourly).

Rick Prosser 8.00
Jay Martin 7.33
Kimber Mata 7.00
John T 6.33
Paula Golladay 6.00

Where Bought: eBay/Aabreecoffee.com Aesthetics 9
Bottom Line: A consistent shot with good frothing. I would suggest this machine for the newbi.

Easy to use with streight forward opetation. Delivers a consistent shot with a good thick creme and a good heat point. Atractive unit.

All ABS body, stationary bean hopper, no cup warmer.

My wife calls me a espresso snob and I have to agree. I spent two years in Le Mans France and grew to have a strong addiction to a good pulled shot and cap. With caffeine as my drug of choice, I want perfection when it comes to espresso and caps. I grew tired of paying $4.00 - $5.00 for a cap and $2.00 for a shot when the end product ( here in the States) is moderate at best.

I tried manual and semi auto machines with good results but was growing tired of the time and effort I had to devote to gain consistency in a good shot with a nice thick caramel colored creme. Well after a exhaustive two months of research for price and quality in a Super automatic I settled on a refurbished Saeco Vienna that I purchased on eBay from Aabreecoffee.com. I considered the Vienna digital and Deluxe however, I could not justify the difference in cost for the few features I would gain. The Vienna is a good machine and delivers a good consistent shot. Since it is a lower end Super Automatic it is lacking some features but it performs well. The temperature of the shot is good and milk frothing is better than I ever achieved in a semi. This is because of the double boiler and that was one feature I was looking for. Because this is a lower end system I do see some features that I will need in my next Super. I would like to have a double bean hopper so I could switch to decaf as well, I would also like to have a cup warmer, and the ability to dose the coffee as part of the package. I did get around this by frothing in the cup that I am serving in or dispensing hot water into my shot cup, and using a double shot.

After a whole weekend of experimentation, and my hart pounding out of my chest from the effects of consuming 10 ounces of beans, I reached what I would call the perfect shot! Here are the settings for those that are interested.

For the shot:

1.) My bean selection is Star Bucks Italian roast.
2.) Grind setting is #2
3.)Volume is three dots up from the left.
3.)I use a double for strength

For the cap: Froth your milk in the cup that you will be serving in and use a double shot as well.

Enjoy!!

Aabree Coffee is easy to deal with and my system arrived in three days.

I am still using the Vienna and my opinion has not changed. I have changed my selection of coffee and my settings slightly. I am not sing a espresso and other coffees in whole bean form http://www. thejavaclub.com I am using the Red White and Blue espresso roast and I have also used the Caffe in Rome blend as well. My grind setting is now 3. I get a good creme and a smooth espresso from this machine.  If you plan to get this system please use a high quality espresso for best results.

Between me and my wife we pull 6 12 shots a day and the system has not given a it of trouble. For price vs. value vs. functionality I like the Vienna and do not regret buying it. If you are looking for a entry level system and do ont want to break the bank this is the noe to buy.

Posted: May 29, 2005, 7:48pm
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.193082094193)