Saeco Magic Deluxe - Marie Zeffer's Review
Posted: August 20, 2002, 1:21pm
Saeco Magic Deluxe

Arrow The Saeco Magic Deluxe has 20 Reviews
Arrow The Saeco Magic Deluxe has been rated 8.03 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Saeco Magic Deluxe reviews have been viewed 123,452 times (updated hourly).

Marc Gagne 8.00
Rod Whiteley 8.00
Chip Scardo 7.00
Jim Pellegrini 6.88
John Geddes 6.66

Where Bought: aabreecoffee.com Aesthetics 10
Similar Items Owned: Krups Espresso Nuovo
Bottom Line: This is a convenient, easy to use espresso machine that brews great shots.

The convenience of this machine is incredible and makes brewing fast and easy.  It brews a really good shot of espresso with lots of crema.  It's easy to use with just the push of a button.  The price is still in the range that makes it affordable for home use.

It's made of mostly high-density plastic.  However, if you take good care of it (like I did my old Krups made out of the same stuff), then hopefully, it will last a long time.  Personally, I wish the cup-warming tray were just a bit larger.  I have large latte cups and I can barely fit three on it.  Lastly, it would be nice to be able to push the espresso button three times for a triple shot.

I really love this machine!!  For ten years I owned a manual Krups machine, and used to spend alot of time every day messing with it.  At the time, I really didn't realize just how much time I spent making my daily cup of coffee, and how messy it was.  But since I've owned the Saeco Magic Deluxe, I now know what I was missing, and will never go back to using a manual machine.  With my old machine I used to hesitate to make another cup because of the time involved to make it.  Now I don't hesitate.  Also, cleaning is quick and easy.  The machine lets me know how often to decalcify with a warning light, which I've done only twice in one year.  About once every four to six weeks (I know I should be doing this more often), I take the brew chamber out by opening up the side of the machine and give it a thorough cleaning first with the vacuum cleaner and then with a damp sponge.  The brew chamber just slides out, I give it a good wash with a sponge and water, and it is just as easy to put back in.  I never thought that the machine could make much difference in the taste of espresso, but the day I received my Saeco, I discovered I was wrong.  I took my current batch of beans that I had been using in my old machine, and loaded them up into the Saeco.  To my pleasant surprise, the taste of those beans changed dramatically!  The Saeco makes a great shot of espresso with good crema.  I like that you can just push the button twice for a double shot.  It's handy to have other brewing options for coffee other than espresso for those who like weaker coffee, and to have the ability to put preground decaf or flavored coffee in the bypass doser.  Saeco makes a version of this machine without it, but it's worth the extra money to have it.  I've read some reviews that state the frother isn't strong enough, but I've had a different experience with it.  This machine froths enough milk for one latte in a quarter of the time that my old machine did.  My old Krups used to take three to four minutes, but the Saeco froths the same amount of milk in just 60-70 seconds.  If you're debating about whether to go for a manual machine built like a tank, or go for convenience, you'll never regret the purchase of this machine!

The people at Aabree were extremely helpful, and shipping is free!  They also have a low-price guarantee.

Posted: August 20, 2002, 1:21pm
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.18799996376)