Saeco Magic Cappuccino - Brett Boyds's Review
Posted: July 7, 2002, 11:21am
Saeco Magic Cappuccino

Arrow The Saeco Magic Cappuccino has 6 Reviews
Arrow The Saeco Magic Cappuccino has been rated 7.00 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Saeco Magic Cappuccino reviews have been viewed 42,573 times (updated hourly).

Bill Adams 7.00
Douglas Engel 6.50
Brett Boyds 6.40
Guthrie Collins 6.25
Edgar Carbaat 5.00

Where Bought: Saeco USA Aesthetics 3
Writer's Expertise: I love coffee Would Buy Again: Maybe
Similar Items Owned: Salton, Krups
Bottom Line: 4,000 + shots and the machine has not failed.  I can make a consistantly good shot, and that's what I wanted when I bought it.

The machine works every morning, it heats fast and pours a good tasting/looking shot.  The reservoir is of sufficient size, the spill tray is removable and easy to clean.

I hate the color of this machine, it's grey plastic with sparkles in it!  The logo is in gold, truly tacky.  A metal case would be great, but I would be happy with solid colored plastic. The reservoir has a corner in it which is nearly impossible to clean out, and if you don't, look out for the funk.  The "Magic," pannarello foaming attachment is tough to clean and has discolored so it always looks dirty.

I purchased this machine more than five years and make between two and three shots every morning, which works out to more than 4,000 shots.  The machine has never failed.  When I purchased this machine I was moving from a Krups steam machine, I was so pleased with the speed of the Saeco, and still am.  It heats quickly, the reservoir is easy to fill, but not easy to clean.  The spill tray is attached magnetically to the machine; it removes easily and is easy to clean.  The cup warmer is a bit slow to heat up, but gets sufficiently hot within 45 minutes.  I rarely make cappuccinos, so my experience with the two foaming attachments is limited, the "Magic" frothing device consists of a clear tube which draws the milk up from the carton or glass into a white plastic cylinder which has a control on top, by moving this control the steam and milk are mixed.  I have found the machine needs to be really warm for this to work properly, and then it works most of the time.  I have had much better luck using the frothing wand and a stainless pitcher.  The wand is plastic and stainless and is really a bit short for the job, but it works.  Again, I don't drink cappuccinos so these short comings don't matter to me.

I purchased this directly from Saeco, which means I paid full retail, I'm sure it could be had for less.  I have purchased some baskets over the years and all my experience with Saeco USA has been very positive.

Posted: July 7, 2002, 11:21am
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.194097042084)