Saeco Espresso Machines (other) - Alex Bennett's Review
Posted: March 1, 2009, 12:41pm
Saeco Espresso Machines (other)

Arrow The Saeco Espresso Machines (other) has 15 Reviews
Arrow The Saeco Espresso Machines (other) has been rated 7.57 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Saeco Espresso Machines (other) reviews have been viewed 104,452 times (updated hourly).

Marty Stein 8.50
Steve Watkins 8.00
Andrew Kerr 6.80
Gary Cook 6.66
Jeffrey Davis 6.66

Product Reviewed: Via Venezia
Writer's Expertise: I live coffee Would Buy Again: No
Bottom Line: Great machine for beginners and casual users, but if you're a regular/experienced user then pay the extra price and get something more durable.

Great beginner machine, easy to use, reasonable price

Durability - I've gone through 2 machines over the past year, both of them have had the pump fail after about 6 months

I originally got this machine as a gift, and was very excited to start using it. It was my first machine, so I really didn't know what I was doing at first, but eventually I learned how to pull some really great, though not quite professional-quality shots. After getting used to the machine, I was able to make some really great shots with lots of really thick crema and a full body. Because of how easy it was to use, I eventually got into the habit of making espresso almost daily. I cleaned it and took care of it regularly, and continued to get some great espresso out of it. However, one day, after about 6 months of owning it, I went to pull a shot, only to notice that it had absolutely no crema, and produced really thin, watery shots. I thought it was the grind, so I used a coarser grind and gave it another good cleaning, only to find that it still was failing to produce espresso like it used to. I did some research and called Starbucks, and they were happy to replace the machine. So I happy rushed home with my new machine, and once again, it produced some great espresso. However, after another 6 months I had the exact same problem, really thin, tasteless espresso. So again I gave it another thorough cleaning and this time descaled it, neither of which solved the problem. So I guess if you are a casual user, the machine will be great for you, but if you want a machine to use on a regular basis, then buy something more durable.

Starbucks is awful. Though they were willing to replace the machine, they really had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned things like 'crema'... Buy from a place that actually knows coffee and about the machines they're selling.

Posted: March 1, 2009, 12:41pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.207530021667)