Saeco Espresso Machines (other) - Chris Beck's Review
Posted: February 17, 2001, 2:16pm
Saeco Espresso Machines (other)

Arrow The Saeco Espresso Machines (other) has 15 Reviews
Arrow The Saeco Espresso Machines (other) has been rated 7.57 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Saeco Espresso Machines (other) reviews have been viewed 105,216 times (updated hourly).

Marty Stein 8.50
Steve Watkins 8.00
Andrew Kerr 6.80
Gary Cook 6.66
Jeffrey Davis 6.66

Product Reviewed: Saeco Espresso Maestro
Where Bought: Aesthetics 8
Writer's Expertise: Aficionado Would Buy Again: n/a
Bottom Line: A great machine for someone on a budget or needs a second machine for the office.

Brass portafilter with NO crema enhancing gizmos.  Brass boiler, and the 41W Ulka pump, same as the Silvia!  Great steam for a small machine, and good temperature stability during the shot.

Small drip tray and small reservoir. Also tough to lock in portafilter due to the small size of the machine.

Also, the small boiler size will limit you to 2 to 2.2 oz. maximum shot size before the temperature takes a dive.

I am amazed at this little machine.  My old Melitta thermoblock machine was frustrating me with my (so I thought) inability to froth milk decently.  Chris Schaefer was over at my house trying to get the Melitta to froth, to no avail.  Flabbergasted, he ran over to his house and brought this Saeco machine back.  I thought it was a joke, a steam toy.  Boy, was I wrong.

We filled it, fired it up, and let it warm up.  After bleeding a little water out of the boiler, we proceeded to froth up some of the best microfoam I have had.  Conclusion #1, thermoblock machines steam for crap.  OK, so I thought my Melitta pulled a pretty good shot, tho.  Wrong again.  Conclusion #2, the Melitta does nott have the pressure or thermal stability of the Saeco.

I had no beans ready that evening, so the next night, Chris came back with his Rocky and some beans.  We ground some up, using the same setting as his Silvia, and pulled the most amazing 25 sec. shot from this little machine.  It was delicious.  That fine of grind would have choked the Melitta solid.  Needless to say, my grinder is being retired and I am getting a Rocky. With a lesser grinder, you will not get anywhere near the quality of espresso it is capable of.  Seems funny to pair a $100 machine with a $200 grinder, but it is necessary.  Do not laugh,  you will get shots that are pretty close to what a Silvia will produce, but the Silvia will be most likely more consistent due to better thermal mass.

Posted: February 17, 2001, 2:16pm
Rocket Espresso Machines
Free extended warranty & free shipping. Contact us for best prices.
espressooutlet.net
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.187208890915)