Saeco Classico Rapid Steam - Calla Hummel's Review
Posted: November 26, 2005, 5:36pm
Saeco Classico Rapid Steam

Arrow The Saeco Classico Rapid Steam has 6 Reviews
Arrow The Saeco Classico Rapid Steam has been rated 7.83 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Saeco Classico Rapid Steam reviews have been viewed 52,259 times (updated hourly).

André Thibert 9.00
Calla Hummel 8.00
Bob Allman 6.66
Dave Parsley 3.91
Arcadio Ramirez 3.66

Where Bought: wholelattelove Aesthetics 9
Similar Items Owned: Saeco Vienna Delux
Bottom Line: Not professional, but close enough and easy to operate

-small footprint
-looks nice
-pretty easy to operate
-easy to clean
-decent espresso and milk
-great for a beginner

-the manual needs to be supplemented by coffeegeek info, especially for milk frothing
-leaky brewing
-the price was more than I anticipated

My experience with the Classico RS has been much better than with the Vienna Delux.  It fits into the kitchen easily and is much simpler.  I haven't yet been able to produce cafe-level drinks, but improvement has been steady.

My main beef is that the manual is not as detailed as I'd like it.  I bought a refurb that didn't come with a scooper, so I've been guessing my way through amounts (a heaped tablespoon seems to equal a scoop), since the manual doesn't say anything about how big the scooper is.  In addition to that, the right grind has been difficult to pin down, especially since a half pound lasts me nearly two weeks, not giving me much latitude for direct comparison.  Finally, there are no tips on how to improve shots; the message is basically "the pressurized portafiller will do it all for you!"  I like the portafiller, but it definitely needs a little help to get the shots done well.

I actually don't have a problem with the frothing wand itself.  READ COFFEEGEEK'S FOAMING GUIDE.  After 20 minutes of reading, most my confusion on how to produce decent foam was cleared up.  Following that quick study, I  produced the beginnings of microfoam on my first try.

The only think that I haven't even begun to figure out is why the portafiller leaks.  It usually isn't too much of a problem, but it happens every time (to varying degrees) and can get quite annoying.

I bought the refurb from wholelattelove via eBay because the local coffee repair shop said that it was the most reputable and consistent online seller.  They shipped it out three business days after I payed (pissed me off... I was pretty impatient), but other than that there were no problems.
However, I wasn't expecting to pay $277 for a "budget" machine that wasn't even new.

Posted: November 26, 2005, 5:36pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.195513010025)