Saeco Classico - Fred Langer's Review
Posted: February 8, 2002, 8:22pm
Saeco Classico

Arrow The Saeco Classico has 29 Reviews
Arrow The Saeco Classico has been rated 8.32 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Saeco Classico reviews have been viewed 197,337 times (updated hourly).

Steve Zlatev 8.50
Dave LaFollette 8.44
Mark Bounds 8.00
Mark Johnston 7.50
Tricia Walker 7.00

Where Bought: Ebay Aesthetics 8
Similar Items Owned: Rancilio Silvia
Bottom Line: A great first machine - even if it was your last machine.

Ease of use, compact size.

Steam wand awkward, pressurized portafilter.

This was a "step-down" for me.  I sold my briefly-owned Silvia (gasp) for reasons I won't go into here about a year ago.   My craving for quality espresso caused me to wander around Ebay and land on several auctions for display models of this unit.  I quickly came to this very section (on CoffeeKid.com) and read enough positive reviews that I went back and bid...and won one.

This was an unused display model (black, not stainless) and came with the (cheesy) video and the pressurized portafilter.  I won't spend a lot of time dissing the pressurized PF here - in fact, the shots were pretty good, and consistent with it.  But I went ahead and ordered the non-pressurized PF directly from Saeco shortly afterward.

I have had to jockey around with the fineness setting on my Solis 166 to get 25 second double-shots - and I'm STILL not consistent - but I am getting wonderful, thick crema and good shots overall.  (I use home-roasted Sweet Maria's Espresso Monkey Blend almost exclusively).

No, the great shots like I frequently got from Silvia don't happen quite as often, but this machine is serving me well with the 1 to 3 doubles I pull each day.  I know I will crave the likes of Silvia or even a Livia 90, but will not be displeased with using this machine for the forseeable future.

Got a great deal on Ebay - the seller had several and was prompt and courteous.  Likewise, the Saeco representative was helpful when I ordered the non-pressurized PF.

I still stand by the claim that this would be a great first machine.  Unless you are on the Crusade to find frequent and consistent "GodShots", you may be satisfied with this puppy for a long time.

Posted: February 8, 2002, 8:22pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.195708990097)