Rancilio Silvia - Jim Johnson's Review
Posted: October 3, 2005, 9:16pm

Arrow Rancilio Silvia reviews have been viewed 1,670,050 times (updated hourly).

Where Bought: Individual Aesthetics 10
Bottom Line: Built like a tank, GREAT performance and delivers FANTASTIC espresso.

- Delivers fantastic espresso
- Powerful steaming capabilities
- Solid construction

- Slight learning curve
- Resevoir could have a bigger capacity
- A water level indication would be nice

I figured I'd wait to post a review on Silvia until I actually got to know her ins and outs, and that didn't take too long.  Other than the usual suggested improvements (water level indicator, resevoir too small, wait time between brewing and steaming, etc.), I found these all just to be very minor and not really inconveniences.  Providing all the proper elements are in place (fresh beans, freshly ground coffee, fresh water, Silvia being plenty hot), Silvia has not failed to deliver beautiful espresso every time.  I mainly use her to brew espresso shots, but the few times I've made lattes and/or cappuccinos, steaming power is awesome.  As it would be with any other machine, you have to get to know her subtlties by experimenting and testing.  Fortunately, since Silvia is one of the most popular machines to buy, you're never at a loss for resources when you have a question to ask, or need advice.

I bought Silvia second-hand (only a few months old) at a great price.  The main reasons I bought her was because I knew that she was a reliable machine... tried, tested and true.  I knew that with Silvia, I'd never be without resources in case I needed help.

Silvia and I have developed a wonderful relationship.  :)  Now that I've had her long enough to get to know all her ins and outs, I have no complaints other than the fact that I think that I'll end up replacing the steamer tip for a 3-holed one to make microfoaming easier.  I do wish, however, that after brewing a shot and then going directly to steaming milk, that the ready time was quicker.  It's not a terrible inconvenience, but I wish it was a bit quicker.  But after all is said and done, Silvia has consistently failed to disappoint.  Wonderful, simply wonderful and I have no plans on upgrading any time soon.

1 year later and Silvia is still going strong with no signs of letting up.  I'm still very happy with her and don't have any plans to upgrade.

Posted: October 3, 2005, 9:16pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.192036151886)