Rancilio Silvia - Jack Givens's Review
Posted: August 14, 2007, 11:23am

Arrow Rancilio Silvia reviews have been viewed 1,662,542 times (updated hourly).

Where Bought: Everything Home Aesthetics 7
Similar Items Owned: Krupps
Bottom Line: This is an A List espresso machine for the home. If you love great espresso this one will not disappoint.

I have had my Silvia for two years now and I found I can produce great espresso if I stick to the game plan. Overall the design is great with high quality construction and material choice.

The basket is not deep enough to take a full dose so you must fill about half of the dose, tamp, add remaining coffee and tamp. Cheap poor fitting tamper is a throw away and buy RB or like. Not a show stopper but it would be nice to see the water level without having to pop the top to look.

After a few years of consistent use I have found this is a great machine and I produce better shots then I get in any coffee shop in town. With good fresh beans (no more then a week old), a good grind, and proper dosing you will see crema nirvana. It can not be said enough about the importance of fresh grinds and a good tamp! Not counting warm up time it takes me about 6 minutes to make a cappuccino, including clean up.

My Espresso ritual is:
Turn on the machine about 10 minutes prior.
Run H2O through group into cup and set aside. This heats porta filter and cup.
Grind fresh coffee beans.
With my RB tamper I know I have a good dose by the feel of how far the top chamfer sits above the basket. I often dose into the basket and then insert basket in porta filter but it does not matter.
Put porta filter in group, and dump H2O out of cup placing it under group.
Hit the "Go" button. After a few seconds you should see golden goodness come out in dribbles. If it pours out it is likely a bad tamp/dose or old coffee.

Sevice was OK. At the time I was living in Europe and this was one of the few places that would ship to an APO.

Posted: August 14, 2007, 11:23am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.196455955505)