Rancilio Silvia - Derek Denyer's Review
Posted: April 20, 2003, 1:53am
Arrow Morala Trading Inc.
Arrow Clive Coffee

Arrow Rancilio Silvia reviews have been viewed 1,691,062 times (updated hourly).

Where Bought: Belgium Aesthetics 9
Writer's Expertise: Intermediate Would Buy Again: Yes
Bottom Line: A well built machine which makes great coffee.

It's built to last.  Still looks great after daily use for over 3 years.  Good consistent coffee.

I drink too much coffee now, it's addictive.  The finish looks good when clean, but it quickly gets dirty.  No tamper included.

This is my first quality Expresso machine (I had a $50 Krups effort before).  I'm now a signed up coffee geek.  When (if?) my Silvia gives up the ghost, I'll be right out to buy a new machine.   I bought the machine in a general kitchen shop which had a range of different machines, I bought Silvia more for the looks than anything, but It's when I carried it to the car that I realized this was no pretty lightweight.  3 years later I'm very pleased with the purchase.  It makes great coffee, looks great, and really is well built.  Apart from an occasional (every year) de-scaling, and frequent wipedown it's been maintanence and trouble free.  The machine is always on if I'm at home.  I use almost exclusively pre-ground Illy coffee, but I've just ordered a Rancilio Rocky grinder (for 145 - approx $225).  I get consistently good coffee with a good crema.

I bought the machine in a high-class kitchen store in Belgium for 500 Euro - (approx $500).

I took advice, and started back-flushing occasionally, there was so much gunk the first time around ;-)  However, I've been unable to remove the screen for proper cleaning, as the screw is just too tight, and I don't want to break it.  I guess 3 years of gunk have locked the threads solid.  I've invested in a heavy tamper to use in place of the toy I used before.  Those changes, plus a Rocky, and some Digital scales, and I've got it pretty well sorted,  I love the coffee I can make.  Silvia continues to be always on whilst I'm at home, and runs flawlessly.

Miss Silvia died after 7 years :-( The symptoms were that it would trip my house circuit breakers if I turned her on.  I took off the case for the first time, it's really nicely made inside.  Anyway no obvious frayed or melted wires causing a short circuit.  It's probably the element.  Well, she has been on for about 30000 hours. So what do I do now?.  Repair her,  buy a new Silvia, or something else?.  Well, I've just ordered an Isomac Tea, and will proably also get Miss Silvia repaired, to be used as a backup machine.  Being without my morning espresso is an experience I don't want to have to have too often, so having a backup will be good.  There's also quite a bit more to go wrong in the Isomac, so I doubt it'll be as reliable as the Silvia.

Posted: April 20, 2003, 1:53am
"My First Crack"
"Ask Me About My First Crack."  Tee Shirts in Black, White, or Grey.
www.coffeeproject.com
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.205851078033)