Rancilio Silvia - Chris Furia's Review
Posted: November 30, 2003, 10:08pm
Arrow Batch Coffee

Arrow Rancilio Silvia reviews have been viewed 1,637,128 times (updated hourly).

Where Bought: Aabree Coffee Aesthetics 9
Bottom Line: This machine rocks, but if you're looking for an automated machine, stick with the Solis SL90.

Build quality is tank like.  Stainless finish is really attractive.  Espresso is literally night and day better than my old machine.

Learning curve for the unmotivated will be long.  Not the best machine for a non-tweaker.  There was also a slight chip off the Rancilio emblem upon delivery, but it's nothing a sharpie couldn't fix.

I have been a coffee fiend for years.  I purchased my first machine - a Briel First Class - several years ago.  I was very happy with it, but always felt like the espresso I would get at any of my favorite coffee places was far superior.  In the past 6 months or so, I decided to start my search for a new machine.  I went back and forth between the Solis SL90 and the Rancilio Sylvia.  I read all the reviews and info I could and decided that the Sylvia would best suit my needs.

Something else should be pointed out:  I used to think that all there was to espresso was grinding up some good beans, throwing it in the filter basket and hitting the start button.  Boy was I wrong (as I found out on these boards and other places).  I read all about the nuances of bean freshness, grind and tamp.  Given the fact that I was about to purchase a Sylvia, it was good timing.

I had also read how important it was to get all the factors right to truly get a good shot.  Once I got the Sylvia home, it took me maybe an hour before I was able to pull a really tasty 20-25 second shot with more crema than I had ever seen from a home machine.  I settled upon a grind about 3 dots short of the finest on my Solis Maestro grinder, 2.2 scoops from the provided measured spoon that came with the Sylvia, an approximately 30lb tamp and a couple of other tricks I learned from one of the guys at JJ Beans here in Vancouver.  It all paid off.  I am consistently getting shots that are so rich with crema that I find myself wanting more even late into the evening (yes, I am a junkie).

If you're willing to put in the time and practice, this machine will reward you with some of the best coffee this side of your favorite barrista.  I highly recommend it.

Aabree Coffee was great.  They were easy to deal with.  I can't speak to their shipping as my wife picked up the machine directly from them on here trip from LA to Vancouver.

I absolutely still love it!  I'm getting better at temp surfing for the perfect shot as well.  My only complaint is that I had to send it home (it started life with my on location with a job).  I've been jonzing for homemade shots every day it's been gone.  I have to "settle" for JJ Beans in the morning instead :)

Posted: November 30, 2003, 10:08pm
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.192104816437)