Quickmill Silvano - Jim Carleton's Review
Posted: January 10, 2013, 8:43pm
QuickMill Silvano

Arrow The Quickmill Silvano has 23 Reviews
Arrow The Quickmill Silvano has been rated 8.98 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since January 29, 2011.
Arrow Quickmill Silvano reviews have been viewed 99,400 times (updated hourly).

Zim Berto 9.50
Don Walter 9.50
Mike C 9.00
Fernando R 9.00
Noel Labat-Comess 9.00

Manufacturer: Quickmill Quality: 10
Where Bought: Espresso Planet Aesthetics 9
Bottom Line: A perfect home machine if you want consistently great espresso and microfoam at a reasonable price. Everything that I could have hoped for!

easy to use
PID and pressure gauges
warms up and ready to go quickly
independent steam
more than adequate steam for my home purposes
strong build
58 mm group
relatively small profile
great recovery time
huge drip tray
easy access, large (for home use) wanter tank
great home machine

drinking too much coffee - :)
obsession has set in (and loving it)

I spent a year researching, dreaming, debating back and forth. Do I really want to spend this much money on espresso? If i do, will I be able to make it as good as I have had it at top notch cafes? Am I crazy? If I do pull the trigger, how far do I go? Back and forth I went, finally deciding that the Silvano would be a great place to start.

I am 50/50 espresso to milk drinks so I wanted something that would make consistently excellent espresso, as well as the ability to make equally consistent, velvety smooth microfoam. Most of the time I am just making drinks for myself; a couple of times a week lattes for my partner and a couple times a year 4-6 when entertaining. I didn’t want the whole temperature surf dance, wanted a machine that would fit in my kitchen and I was hoping to get machine and grinder in the $1500 range. All of this seemed to add up to the Silvano.

Nevertheless, I kept wondering whether or not I would be able to make great espresso and microfoam. Should I spend more? If I do, will I get better results? Long story short, I can absolutely make the best espresso and microfoam I have ever had on the Silvano. Maybe more expensive machines are better if I needed to make more drinks than I do, or for those with truly refined pallettes, but for basic home use, I am thrilled with my choice.

It took me a couple of weeks to dial in my Sivano/Vario combination but now that I have, wow! Shot after shot, I am transported to Nirvana! If I want microfoam, no problem - 40 or so seconds and there it is: rich, creamy, velvety, consistent microfoam. Once you find the sweet spot (and it did take me a while), no wait, no problem; just bliss.

I am picky and would have been disappointed if I was not pulling anything less than unbelievable espresso and making top notch microfoam. I did not want to be wishing that I had gone for a higher end machine and I am not. For me, this is a perfect place to start, and given my basic home needs, I will be surprised if I feel the need to upgrade for years, if ever.

I am a couple hours north of Toronto and I purchased my equipment at Espresso Planet. It was definitely worth the drive. The service both at the time of purchase and after sale has been top notch. When I was in my “dialing in, what have I gotten myself into” period, Josh from Espresso Planet took the time to look at my videos and, in turn, make a couple of videos to help my technique. I have nothing but good things to say about Espresso Planet. Their expertise, professionalism and after sales assistance, combined with the Silvano/Vario combination have moved me from being worried about such an expensive purchase to now knowing that it is one of the better investments I have made. I look forward to learning more and experimenting with different blends with the knowledge that, given my needs, my equipment is a perfect match.

Posted: January 10, 2013, 8:43pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.183875083923)