Philips Senseo - Ami Ortom's Review
Posted: February 1, 2005, 2:26pm
Philips Senseo Single Cup

Arrow The Philips Senseo has 15 Reviews
Arrow The Philips Senseo has been rated 6.91 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since December 24, 2004.
Arrow Philips Senseo reviews have been viewed 99,830 times (updated hourly).

Stephanie Dillard 9.50

Manufacturer: Philips Quality: 1
Where Bought: Costco Aesthetics 8
Writer's Expertise: Aficionado Would Buy Again: No
Similar Items Owned: Espresso machines, too numerous to count
Bottom Line: Nice and elegant machine makes horrid coffee

Attractive; quick, no-mess preparation; affordable

Horrid coffee!

This coffee machine seemed the answer to my quest for an office coffee solution: (1) it is sleek, (2) using pods, preparation is quick and mess-free, (3) it is affordable, (4) at 20-25 cents per cup, operating costs are quite low, and (5) Philips is a well-known brand.

The problem is that the coffee it makes is simply terrible.  The simplest cone filter with medium-priced coffee is infinitely better.

Unlike espresso machines, you have limited control over the process: You can only select among a couple of blends, you can decide whether to use one or two pods at a time, and you can vary the amount of water by stopping the machine before it's done.  That's it.  Since I've played with these parameters for quite a while, I know that it simply cannot be improved!  I've tried all the roasts offered by Douwe Egberts, plus a couple that I bought at the Coffee Giant (slightly better).  I used more/less water, one/two pods.  To no avail! The fake "crema" makes it look attractive, but the coffee is simply horrid.

I've seen reviews giving it high marks for taste, and I am simply speechless.  American coffee connaisseurs must feel relieved that Europeans, who often mock American coffee (not entirely without a reason) are capable of producing such rubbish.

Costco is a great place to buy.  Too bad I waited too long (and threw out the packaging), so now I can't get rid of it.

Posted: February 1, 2005, 2:26pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.180840015411)