Nuova Simonelli Oscar - Ünsal ORLU's Review
Posted: February 25, 2012, 9:48am
Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Arrow Espresso Parts

Arrow The Nuova Simonelli Oscar has 36 Reviews
Arrow The Nuova Simonelli Oscar has been rated 8.51 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Nuova Simonelli Oscar reviews have been viewed 271,259 times (updated hourly).

Jay H 9.38
Andrea Karsh 9.00
Lisa Swehla 9.00
Rob B 9.00
Eric Wooten 8.86

Manufacturer: Nuova Simonelli Quality: 8
Where Bought: oztiryakiler Aesthetics 8
Bottom Line: Perfect machine for home use. Good espresso quality and excellent steam power.

+ very good steam power
+ simple to use
+ consistent espresso quality
+ compact size
+ same brew group and portafilter with commercial machines
+ perfect for home use

- no OPV
- no pressure gauge
- no hot water output
- original steam tip with 4 holes is not suitable for latteart
- minor quality problems
- high price

I owned Oscar for 7 months. Before buying Oscar, I spend a few months with a low-end espresso machine at home. Oscar is a huge leap from a low-end machine in terms of espresso quality. The temperature stability is sufficiently good for home use. Moreover, the extraordinary steaming capacity is more than enough for home usage.
The steam tip with 4 holes provides huge amount of steam for frothing milk. This makes it difficult to control for inexperienced home users like me. The milk heats up very quickly making it difficult to control the milk texture. I have closed two of the holes by toothpicks and reduced the amount of steam from the tip. This improved my temperature control and as a result better performance in frothing milk for latteart.
Since Oscar is operated completely manually, I bought a timer and keep the brewing time constant by the help of the external timer.
After 6 months of usage, the pressurestat started to leak causing a continuous hissing sound and loss of water from the boiler. I finally have it serviced, and the problem was not the pressurestat, but the loose connection. The pressurestat was removed, and the loose connection was fixed with some tape and now everything is perfect as before.
The faulty group gasket which has small cracks, was also replaced in 6 months.

I bought the machine from oztiryakiler on-line shopping web-site. I chose to pay in 12 months, and I am still paying the installments.
No problems in buying. Good after sales customer support.

After nearly one year of total use, I am still very happy with NS Oscar, especially after the OPV mod from www.elektros.it
Although it is an old model, still the most economic HX boiler machine on market for home use.

Every day, I make 2 caffelattes for breakfast, and several after dinner espresso/milk drinks with oscar. Performing very well and consistent. After nearly 2 years of usage, I am still very happy with the investment.

Posted: February 25, 2012, 9:48am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.209635019302)