Nespresso Machines - Robert Bedwell's Review
Posted: September 1, 2009, 4:18pm
Nespresso Espresso Machines

Arrow The Nespresso Machines has 37 Reviews
Arrow The Nespresso Machines has been rated 8.02 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since November 6, 2003.
Arrow Nespresso Machines reviews have been viewed 485,661 times (updated hourly).

Peter Chenoweth 8.50

Product Reviewed: Nespresso Citiz Milk
Manufacturer: Varies Quality: 7
Where Bought: Surlatable Aesthetics 7
Similar Items Owned: None
Bottom Line: Do a good cost analysis before you purchase. They have a hook on you much like buying razor blades when you buy a razor.  A one shot drink will cost you at least 70 cents and most milk/water based drinks will require more than one.

It takes up a small amount of space.  It's easy to use and after some experimentation we realized how much better coffee tasted from it than from our Technivorm.  It is extremely convenient, fairly fast to make espresso but milk based drinks take about five minutes to prepare and the volume of milk is relatively small, especially if you make froth vs hot milk.  We prefer the hot milk.  The froth is thick with the consistency of warm, foamy plastic...whatever that is.  However, a large cup (about 10 oz) requires one full container of hot milk from the aerocinno(SP ?) and 2 pods.  Add that up with the milk and you are approaching $2. for a drink.  Not cheap but still half the price of a coffee shop.  Is it good?  Yes.  For someone that is in a hurry in the morning I can see it fitting.

My problem is with the Nespresso customer service.  I have had a dozen or more pods that didn't get penetrated and had to be thrown out.  I sent an email via their website asking what was wrong and heard nothing from them.  I sent two follow up emails and still didn't receive a response.  They had my telephone number, they could have called but they didn't care.  However they know how to ship an order.  Very fast service and if they are getting around 70 cents per pod including shipping I understand why they like to handle orders properly.  Also, never figured out why I could not register my unit without placing an order.  I followed their instructions and wrote the serial number in the memo section of an order and had to bug them several times to make sure they picked up the information and recorded it.  I have no clue if they did or not.  I discussed my pod problem with the local Surlatable store and the manager said that he discussed it with the Nespresso rep and he was going to call me.  Never heard a word.   The local store did replace the pods but I have had several not penetrated since.  In retrospect I think the Surlatable could have handled it better.

I think I have said enough in the previous areas.  I am in the process of replacing the CItiz Milk with an espresso machine.  Every time I look at it I am reminded of the lack of response from Nespresso.  I am going to give it to someone close with all the warnings.  Perhaps they will be less sensitive than I.  I am surprised that a company with the reputation of Nespresso could get by with this lack of response.  If they didn't want you to use email communications then they should eliminate it as an option on their website.

No more Nespresso in this house.

Always had excellent service from this store and I have purchased many items in the past.  The Nespresso experience has tainted my attitude.

Nespresso read the report on CG and I was called and my issues were promptly taken care of.  The machine was replaced by the local dealer and the new one works fine.  I have no problems with the function of the machine.  It does what it is supposed to do as long as you don't expect it to do more.  It is extremely expensive to operate.  If you like tall milk based drinks you will need to use at least three pods for the coffee flavor to come through the milk.  At $2.25 to $3.00 per drink you can get a cappuccino at your local coffee house. If you are making drinks for two or more you will go through a sleeve of pods with each round of drinks.  $40-$50 in pods per month is conservative if you use it daily.   I learned enough from the purchase of the machine to know that it wasn't what I was looking for.  It is now used for travel.  If you are a light coffee drinker and convenience is important to you without regard to cost then it is a great machine.  It's easy to use and easy to keep clean.

Posted: September 1, 2009, 4:18pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.200175046921)