Nemox Opera - Alec MacGill's Review
Posted: April 18, 2004, 11:24pm
Nemox Caffe Dell'Opera (Napoletana)

Arrow The Nemox Opera has 10 Reviews
Arrow The Nemox Opera has been rated 8.22 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since June 14, 2002.
Arrow Nemox Opera reviews have been viewed 76,427 times (updated hourly).

Alan Chen 9.00
Greg Pullman 8.92
Cal Cotter 6.71
Jared Simpkins 6.67
Tim Collins 6.33

Product Reviewed: Quaha Napolitana II
Manufacturer: Quaha Quality: 7
Where Bought: Supreme Coffee Machines Aesthetics 7
Bottom Line: In its price range it, for us, left the competition behind being well built - it has put me on the road to understanding good coffee and more expensive kit when it kicks the bucket.

Grind is adjusting using a continous thread mechanism - so very fine adjustments are possible.
Brass boiler (no aluminium here).
Plentiful supply of steam.
Excellent value.

Grinder is very noisy (you cannot hear what people are saying to you while you are grinding - unless they speak very loudly or are less than 1 metre away) (I've since found that my grinder in this machine is more noisy than usual).
Boiler leaked within the first 12 months resulting in $100 repair bill for element damage.
Sharp ended screws used on backing plate, one of which punctured the water tank (thankfully towards the top of it).

I had been admiring other's espresso machines from afar, which prompted my wife to purchase this one for me as a gift.  She had no idea what to buy, so it was a credit to the guys at Supreme that she was provided with two very good recommendations (Quaha or La Cimbali Domus Classic).  Quaha made it with better pricing for machine and grinder.

Initial impressions were good.  Very easy to use.  Good grind quality.  Large, easy to access, water tank with nice cut out in the machine to indicate the water level.  The basics are there - so you are largely limited by your own technique.

Being particularly sensitive to noise I have been unhappy with the "noisy" grinder.  If I had my time again I would happily pay significantly more on the grinder side for a quieter grinder (Rocky or Mazzer Mini).

The leaking boiler didn't help either, but the service from Supreme did make me feel much better with a significant discount provided on the labour to replace the element and fix the boiler.

If your other options were Gaggia, Krups, Saeco - in the price range this leaves them for dead - but if you think you'd be prone to upgrade fever get something else and spend the money upfront - otherwise this machine will give many years of good service while your espresso improves with your technique.

Can't fault them.  Supreme provider helpful advice when my wife selected the machine (they also recommended La Cimbali which would also have been a good choice).  Machine supplied on time.
After sales services has been excellent with cheerful and helpful staff.

Grinder: due to sensitive ears, young child and family who are often not awake when I grind I have bought a quieter grinder - but it is great to know that the built in grinder is there if I want to do decaf or something.   The grinder is very good for espresso producing consistent grind and being adjustable by a worm drive (like Innova Conical) which I have really come to appreciate as I tweak the grind more often now and a quarter turn does make a change.

The espresso: when the grind and tamp are right the espresso is great.  Milk drinks are easy as even more steam is produced following servicing - although milk for 4+ milk drinks takes a while to be done - but it can be done as there is enough steam there for it.

This machine can take you a long way in developing your most important aspects of home espresso: technique.

The only down side is upgrade fever has struck from reading too much CoffeeGeek and alt.coffee - so I will upgrade in the next 12 - 18 months.

Posted: April 18, 2004, 11:24pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.198421001434)