Mr Coffee Espresso (All) - Jacob Miheve's Review
Posted: March 10, 2006, 12:32pm
Mr Coffee Espresso (All)
Arrow Amazon

Arrow The Mr Coffee Espresso (All) has 22 Reviews
Arrow The Mr Coffee Espresso (All) has been rated 6.85 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since February 23, 2002.
Arrow Mr Coffee Espresso (All) reviews have been viewed 134,985 times (updated hourly).

Rene Lacroix 10.00

Product Reviewed: Mr Coffee ECMP40
Manufacturer: Varies Quality: 7
Where Bought: Target Aesthetics 9
Owned for: 2 weeks Overall 7
Bottom Line: A good machine in the under $100 category.

-Makes espresso comparable to the local coffee shops (better than some, not quite as good as others).
-Very easy to use.
-Steams and froths well.
-Good pump machine for those who can't afford to spend $100 or more.

-The grouphead must be wiped between shots, even with well tamped grounds.
-The steam wand produces hot water for the first 5-10 seconds before producing steam.
-The steam wand swivels out, but not up, and the tip sits a little too low for convenience.

Please note, this is not the same model pictured.

I bought this as a step up from my steam toy because it was affordable, and I needed a pump machine. I have been very pleased with it so far. After 3 weeks of use, I can say it produces a good quality espresso. Better than some of the local coffee shops, not quite as good as the best local shop even using their beans (roasted in the store, so I know they're fresh). I can get a decent crema, but I think I'll be able to do even better with a little 'fine tuning'.

Some tips for this machine:
-The pre-use cleaning process as described in the manual didn't work for me. With no grounds in the basket, the pump would not draw any water from the reservoir. I thought at first I had a bad machine. I decided to try running it with a pod, and it started to work. It seems like it needed the resistance at the output end to prime the pump. Keep 1 pod to prime the pump.
-The pods it comes with are absolutely horrible. Lose them as fast as possible, but keep 1 like I said above.
-This machine comes with a plastic insert for the portafilter, supposedly to reduce spattering when the coffee exits the portafilter. I have tried it with and without the insert. Not only does it seem to spatter more with the insert, but I seem to get a better crema without it. I recommend putting it in a drawer and leaving it there.
-There is a plastic 'frother' gizmo for the steam wand, like on many low end espresso machines. Like on those machines, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Overall, this seems to be a very good machine for the price.

The usual Target experience.

Posted: March 10, 2006, 12:32pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.210915088654)