Mr Coffee Espresso (All) - Mr. Dooder's Review
Posted: December 29, 2007, 3:30pm
Mr Coffee Espresso (All)

Arrow The Mr Coffee Espresso (All) has 22 Reviews
Arrow The Mr Coffee Espresso (All) has been rated 6.85 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since February 23, 2002.
Arrow Mr Coffee Espresso (All) reviews have been viewed 131,718 times (updated hourly).

Rene Lacroix 10.00

Manufacturer: Mr. Coffee Quality: 1
Where Bought: Target Aesthetics 2
Writer's Expertise: I like coffee Would Buy Again: No
Similar Items Owned: french press
Bottom Line: Fast. Cheap. Not good, but at least not worse than Starbucks.

-Lightweight.
-Compact.
-Hasn't exploded on me yet.

-Steam driven ie not a real espresso machine.
-Must bleed pressure before refilling water or portafilter.
-Small basket size.

I am a home coffee roaster and usually make a cup of coffee using a french press. I purchased this unit because it was the cheapest off the shelf unit available, back when I didn't know the difference between steam / pump / HX / manual.

I roast most of my beans into Full City +. For espresso I allow around 15-20 seconds of 2nd crack before dumping the beans to cool. I like to see a few beans begin to develop an oily surface, but with the majority of them still dry.

I am surprised that, for a steam driven coffee maker, most of the time the liquid I produce from this device tastes better than the espresso they make at the movie theater, family restaurants, or Starbucks. Which means most of the espresso out there is truly awful and not made with beans that are 2-4 days, or just roasted into charcoal.

Unfortunately the 53mm stainless tamper I bought to use doesn't fit, and costs more than the machine itself.

If I decide to upgrade, I see two options: Le'Lit PL041 or an entry-level HX such as the Expobar Office Lever. Pumps start at $100-$200 so I might as well save the money and put it towards something real.

Now, if I could do it again, I would've chosen the $80 Delonghi pump espresso machine to start with. Now it is too late because I already have one piece of crap and don't need two.

It's Target. One step up from Walmart.

Posted: December 29, 2007, 3:30pm
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.18420290947)