Lelit PL 041 Espresso - Glenn Snyder's Review
Posted: May 7, 2010, 8:52pm
Lelit PL 041 Espresso Machine

Arrow The Lelit PL 041 Espresso has 23 Reviews
Arrow The Lelit PL 041 Espresso has been rated 8.62 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 22, 2007.
Arrow Lelit PL 041 Espresso reviews have been viewed 147,284 times (updated hourly).

Matthew Pecsok 10.00
Gary Edmunds 9.43
HEATHER HUNNICUTT 9.00
Joshua Wark 9.00
Armbrooke Thorne 9.00

Manufacturer: Le'Lit Quality: 8
Where Bought: Ist Line Aesthetics 8
Similar Items Owned: La Pavoni Pro
Bottom Line: A stunningly good product for the price.

Excellent quality espresso drinks for a great price.
Easy to use.
Small footprint.

Note the best fit and finish.
Somewhat flimsy looking.
Need to study up on how to optimize steamer, but it's worth the effort.

I was a La Pavoni snob, but wanted a semi-auto machine.  So I checked the usual retailers' websites for some time, and was talking with Jim at 1st Line just when this machine was on special.  He touted it as performing comparably to some much pricier machines.  He was right.  He did warn me about complaints concerning the weak steamer and the useless frother.  But said a new steamer tip was coming this Spring.

The machine doesn't look like much, but--after some experimentation time--it consistently produces excellent-tasting  espresso with good crema (not like La Pavoni, but what does?).  The espresso flavor is complex and rich (I use a wide variety of medium roast beans from Thanksgiving and Stumptown).

It's very easy to use.  Easy to keep clean.  Doesn't take up much counter space.

The steamer function was the big negative until I found a discussion on CoffeeGeak about how to time the steaming to maximize the power (start steaming before the indicator light says the machine is up to temperature--in retrospect, I say "duh!").   Now I have no complaints about the steaming performance.  Excellent microfoam.

A more minor negative--the machine is made of thin gauge stainless steel and looks and feels a bit flimsy.

If I had three houses, I'd have two of these (and keep La Pavoni in the third).

1st Line is first class.  Knowledgeable, responsive, forthright.

Still good.

I'm still very happy with the Le Lit.  It performs better as I learn its nuances.  It makes consistently good espresso with lots of crema.  The steam wand (with frother removed) creates good firm microfoam.  It has been very reliable so far.

Posted: May 7, 2010, 8:52pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.194053888321)