La Pavoni Pro Lever - Thomas Winkler's Review
Posted: July 22, 2000, 7:31pm
La Pavoni Professional

Arrow The La Pavoni Pro Lever has 40 Reviews
Arrow The La Pavoni Pro Lever has been rated 8.20 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow La Pavoni Pro Lever reviews have been viewed 216,468 times (updated hourly).

Josh Kempthorne 9.20
Paul Alter 8.80
Pal Cabral 8.25
Bernard Murphy 8.00
Taylor Nunley 7.50

Manufacturer: Pavoni Quality: 10
Where Bought: Aesthetics 8
Writer's Expertise: Aficionado Would Buy Again: n/a
Bottom Line: Highly recommended for the serious afficionado

+ Beautiful design
+ Full control over process
+ Makes great espresso and foams milk well
+ Fairly easy to clean and not too messy
+ Almost no cheap plastic parts
+ Large water tank and pressure gauge

- You will need to spend some time experimenting and learning how to control the machine
- Instructions are very minimal (but you will find much better ones on the net)
- Steaming wand only moves a bit up and down, not to the sides
- Portafilter is not the commercial size (I use the double size filter to produce a single shot espresso)

I bought my Pavoni directly at the Canadian distributor, Canterbury coffee in Vancouver, for $1075 CDN. I did quite a bit of research on news:alt.coffee, http://www.coffeekid.com, and Pavoni-specific web sites like http://www.gurus.net/pavoni/ and http://www.kazys.net/pavoni/. I was primarily looking for a machine that makes excellent espresso and cappuccino. What I also liked about this machine is the nice design, the fact that it is not too bulky, and that it gives me full control over the process.

I had to spend quite a bit of time experimenting before getting the expected results. I can see how many people might be disappointed and give up too early, but you CAN learn hot to consistently make great coffee. Read the above mentioned web sites and follow the instructions there.

What helped me the most is to start with Illy pre-ground espresso. That eliminates one factor you have to experiment with. Filling the tank high enough, learning how to tamp right, and the timing when pulling the shot where the main factors to get right. The professional model can take up to 10 minutes to get up to temperature. Once you get to know the machine, you can tell right away whether you got the shot right - by the time until the first drops of espresso drip out of the portafilter, and from the resistance when pulling down the handle.

With a good grinder (I am using a Saeco M2002 at setting 0) and the right beans, I get a thick, golden brown crema, and the coffee has a lot of flavour and tastes sweet, not bitter, even without sugar.

I am still working on my frothing technique, and I don‘t like that the steaming wand only moves a bit up and down. However, I can very easily produce better foam than my previous Krups machine. Just use a larger jug with cold milk, and keep the wand close to the surface of the milk.

When compared to the Europiccola, I would recommend the extra money spent for the larger tank, pressure gauge and added temperature control of the professional model.

Posted: July 22, 2000, 7:31pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.194575071335)