La Pavoni Pro Lever - Tim Goode's Review
Posted: December 7, 2000, 10:16pm
La Pavoni Professional

Arrow The La Pavoni Pro Lever has 40 Reviews
Arrow The La Pavoni Pro Lever has been rated 8.20 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow La Pavoni Pro Lever reviews have been viewed 215,336 times (updated hourly).

Josh Kempthorne 9.20
Paul Alter 8.80
Pal Cabral 8.25
Bernard Murphy 8.00
Taylor Nunley 7.50

Manufacturer: Pavoni Quality: 10
Where Bought: Aesthetics 8
Writer's Expertise: Intermediate Would Buy Again: n/a
Bottom Line: Great looking, solid build, consistant results

As stated by others: great to look at, very solid construction.  Built to last - ? (I sure hope so).

Not the eastiest to make great foam, but Im willing to admit my technique might be responsible.  Im still studying/practicing/reading about foaming techniques.  (Ive recently switched to using White Wave Silk soy milk.  Different but good, with some redeeming nutricional value, and interestingly easier to get foam!).

I have had this unit for 2 months. I started getting great tasting shots as soon as I made the grind fine enough.  Im no long term expert, but Boulder is full of great Espresso shops, so my taste buds are relatively sophisticated. I use high quality Italian Espresso Roast, from Peaberrys in Boulder. Im using an antique Spanish hand grinder, which can go extremely coarse or fine. (I do a lot of French Press, which needs a very coarse grind). The grinder adds to the general complexity, but it just isnt that hard. Grind it very fine, tamp it pretty darn hard, pull the handle slowly.  If there isnt much resistance, either the grind or tamp wasnt enough.  The perfect ending requires a hard pull that lasts about 15-20 seconds.  For double shots I do two pulls, which may or may not be illegal in La Pavoni land, but so far I havent been arrested.

I have not used any other machines worth mentioning.  Im shopping for a semi-automatic on ebay for work, and worrying about them lasting.

I got a great price - saved several hundred dollars, going straight to Italy.
www.bella-italia.com
They were great to deal with, didnt take that long to show up.

My "3" rating for Cost vs. Value only reflects not knowing if less expensive machines can produce good results like this.  Im basically thrilled with the results Im getting.

Posted: December 7, 2000, 10:16pm
Don't suffer bad espresso
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.1887550354)