La Pavoni Pro Lever - R.C. Stark's Review
Posted: April 19, 2001, 7:43pm
La Pavoni Professional

Arrow The La Pavoni Pro Lever has 40 Reviews
Arrow The La Pavoni Pro Lever has been rated 8.20 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow La Pavoni Pro Lever reviews have been viewed 215,190 times (updated hourly).

Josh Kempthorne 9.20
Paul Alter 8.80
Pal Cabral 8.25
Bernard Murphy 8.00
Taylor Nunley 7.50

Manufacturer: Pavoni Quality: 10
Where Bought: Aesthetics 6
Writer's Expertise: Aficionado Would Buy Again: n/a
Bottom Line: Someone I read once said, Only a true romantic would buy one and go through so much for a cup of coffee.....enough said.

Construction is solid and made to last a lifetime. Don‘t drop this on your foot. The automatic frother is great and takes some time out of the learning curve (I used to burn my milk alot by getting it too hot). It‘s design is sculpture, a true Italian work of art.

I was disappointed the filter group didn‘t have a catch for the portafilter. This makes dumping hot,packed grounds an interesting proposition. The pressure guage is also a neat visual, but not really too useful. It‘s also a bit awkward to pour your water into the boiler, I use a large measuring cup with a pour lip. Just remember, cleanup is part of the romance.

I purchased mine on-line from Bella-Italia. I was not sure if ordering from Europe was the way to go, but it turned out great. My machine arrived in good shape and it took about a week. Stand by with your wallet for the UPS delivery man...add $15 US duty and $25 "other fees" onto the price. All in all, I still got it much cheaper than any U.S. distributor that I had found. The learning curve to operate isn‘t that terribly long....my first attempts were bitter drek, but after getting the grind and tamp down, I had crema and a smile. When you first use it, use a great quality coffee (like Illy‘s). I found Illy‘s was just a tad too fine for my machine, so I barely had to tamp. I started getting pretty consistant results after a few tries. If you tamp too firmly with Illy‘s, plan on replacing your O-rings on a regular basis. After too long, you‘ll be buying a grinder to to keep your LaPavoni company. All in all, I love it. IT IS WORK INTENSIVE. Espresso with a Pavoni is truly part science and part theater.

Posted: April 19, 2001, 7:43pm
Don't suffer bad espresso
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.191906929016)