La Pavoni Napolitana - Mike Heslop's Review
Posted: June 30, 2007, 10:56am
La Pavoni Napolitana Espresso Machine

Arrow The La Pavoni Napolitana has 9 Reviews
Arrow The La Pavoni Napolitana has been rated 7.40 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since June 29, 2007.
Arrow La Pavoni Napolitana reviews have been viewed 63,168 times (updated hourly).

Tgoob Erbutt 8.50

Previous Review
Manufacturer: La Pavoni Quality: 8
Where Bought: Espressotec Aesthetics 10
Similar Items Owned: stove top
Bottom Line: You get a nice looking, easy to use macine and most importantly you get a good coffee, but it won't break the bank!

looks good
easy to use
easy to clean
great espresso shots
good steaming atachment
affordable

There are only a few. One being that there are a few plastic peices which would have been nicer in a steel finish. These are the grinder and portafilter tray as well as the dials and buttons. However these trays are easily removed for cleaning which is nice. The other thing I feel I should mention is the fact that the water resevoir is a real pain to remove and refill. It is in there really tight which probably helps remove noise from vibration but makes it difficult to remove and refill.  The time it takes to go from pulling a shot to steaming is a little under a minute, are real heart ache when I see all that nice crema floating in my cup. So I just make the milk portion first and then pull the shot. Doing it this way there is no wait time. One last thing, the grinder dial has a sticker to denote the grinding setting......A STICKER!!!!! Wow, now that's skimping.

For someone looking to get into the espresso machine market and not wanting to break the bank, this is a very safe way to go. The fact that you are getting the grinder and machine in one is a real treat that will save you money.  It looks good sitting on the counter with it's stainless steel finish and pulls a very nice shot.  The grinder is also very nice, as the key to any espresso shot is a good grind and good beans. This product also comes with a frothing atachment for ease of use but I have removed mine and can make loads of latte art worthy micro foam.  It is also easily used and a breeze to keep clean.  All in all for the money a nice machine. I have entertained with this machine many mant times now and have pulled at least 10 shots in an hour and have had no problems doing so.

I bought my machine from a little shop in Richmond British Columbia and had a very nice experience. I was originally in to buy a Rancilio Silvia but didn't want to fork over another $300 for a grinder that would complement the Silvia. They recommended the combo machine and steered me towards the the Napoilitana. I am glad that the helped me make this choice!!! I have other friends and co-workers that have had a  good experience with them as well. I would recommend anyone to go and see them.

So this is a little later than three months. It is still a good machine BUT I have found some quirks over that time. Changing the grind setting is a real wrist burner, it takes forever. Not a good design. On the bright side however, it is a very good grinder. Another thing that I notice is that I am always refilling the water. It's big and you wouldn't think you need to but I find it to be a bit of a pain. I read another comment about not being able to steam. I would like to talk about that a little bit. I have had great success steaming with this unit, you must remove the steaming helper thingy though. I have produced mounds of micro foam with all types of milk including soy. I have found that you must pull you espresso shot first then steam your milk. I wish it had a cup warmer on it but this compensated by filling the cup with hot water while you prepare your beverage of choice. The end result of your coffee really comes down to the type of beans you use, how well you have set your grinder up and finally your ability to tamp properly. I still think this machine is decent, could it be better yes. I like many others wish it had more pressure. Always a wet puck EXCEPT when you pull the shot first then steam your milk. This dries the puck out and it falls into the knock box like a little brownie ( which I fooled a friend with saying " try one of my coffee flavour brownies". Hilarious!!) So lets wrap it up. Will I upgrade. Yes. I would like to go to a Silvia. I should have done that in the first place. Prices of the machines are about the same. I would need to get a grinder but that's ok.  Would I recommend it. Yes. It is a decent machine but you need patience and a lot of practice to get everything dialed in. It really can produce great stuff. I have changed usability from 8-7 and overall rating to an 8. Good luck out there!

Previous Review
Posted: June 30, 2007, 10:56am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.184373140335)