La Pavoni Eurobar - Daniel Ekengren's Review
Posted: October 15, 2007, 3:54pm
La Pavoni Eurobar

Arrow The La Pavoni Eurobar has 2 Reviews
Arrow The La Pavoni Eurobar has been rated 6.20 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since May 13, 2003.
Arrow La Pavoni Eurobar reviews have been viewed 19,097 times (updated hourly).

Daniel Ekengren 8.00
Lee Rimmer 7.00

Manufacturer: La Pavoni (?) Quality: 3
Where Bought: Selfridges Aesthetics 6
Bottom Line: Too expensive for what you get - a bad build-quality machine that isn't great at making espresso

Looks alright, easy to use, good steam, fast startup.

Fundamentally not very good at producing espresso. Hygenic issues with the pressurized portafilter. Build quality issues, corrosion and paint coming off.

I bought the Eurobar 2 years ago on recommendation of the sales lady in the shop. It has been making espressos and cappuccinos daily since.

There are a number of issues I didn't learn until much later which I would like to highlight.

After one year most the paint on the cup warmer had come off and I had an inch in diameter of corrosion on the main body, near the drip tray. The portafilter is non-standard, made of plastic and pressurized (cheat to get crema easily, not good for your coffee). The portafilter is a double in the sense that there is two holes where coffee come out, but there is not way you can squeeze 14 grams of ground coffee in it. This is a key point, it is fundamentally impossible to follow any norms and guidelines for dosage, tamping or anything else that would set you on the right track to good espresso! The machine does not release pressure after you switch water off, often resulting in little nasty explosions of hot water and coffee grounds flying all over the place if you got your tamp or dosage wrong. There is no replacement portafilter as far as I know. I disassembled my portafilter for the first time just last week, and I was not too happy to find a relatively large space inside the portafilter filled with springs and other moving mechanics inside needed to "pressurize" the portafilter. This area was very dirty and would need cleaning frequently (I didn't know!), but that isn't practical as you need a screwdriver to disassemble the pf. Oh, one of the rubber feet just fell off as well, leaving it rocking back and forth... Quality? No.

Having said all this, I did eventually learn to live with this machine and have produced good enough cappucinos to receive comments from friends as "best coffee ever" and "much better than starbucks" so I suppose it isn't completely useless. However, it isn't very cheap either and there are machines for the same money (roughly) that give you a standard 58mm portafilter which makes life much easier if you at all go beyond basics. I would not chose this machine again.

Selfridged (in London that is) sold me this too expensive (had voucher, so no choice), didn't tell me I needed a tamp, got me a too small milk frothing can with no pipe. I was very badly prepared when I got home that day and needed another shopping round before I could make a drinkable espresso. They smiled a lot in the store though, if that counts for anything. All in all, I won't go there again for coffee-stuff.

Posted: October 15, 2007, 3:54pm
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.188732862473)