La Pavoni Europiccola - John Swanson's Review
Posted: March 13, 2011, 8:08am
La Pavoni Europiccola

Arrow The La Pavoni Europiccola has 57 Reviews
Arrow The La Pavoni Europiccola has been rated 7.98 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow La Pavoni Europiccola reviews have been viewed 333,669 times (updated hourly).

Theron Georges 9.67
Antonio Salles 9.50
Gino Magnotta 9.45
Gail McNeill 8.50
Marc Tischler 8.50

Manufacturer: Pavoni Quality: 0
Where Bought: Online Aesthetics 6
Writer's Expertise: I live coffee Would Buy Again: No
Bottom Line: This machine is garbage.

I cannot think of anything good about this machine.

After a little over 1 year, I am having difficulties which make the machine almost unusable.  1.  If I let it heat up too much (turn it on and wait 10 minutes), I cannot fit the portafilter holder into the brew group.  I presume tht something in the brew group is expanding so that the portafilter cannot seat properly.  2.  It is leaking water from somewhere in the bottom.  3.  The plastic base is starting to crack and peel.  4.  Since I've had it, I could not get a decent espresso without draining some of the water into a cup without the portafilter attached, similar to what you do with a cleaning cycle.  This means that you get half as much brew as you might think.   5.  Since I've had it, I cannot lift the lever without holding the machine down, otherwise the whole machine will lift into the air.  This is plain stupid.

I thought it would hold up for years or decades but my unit is going to need a rebuilt.  I am thoroughly disgusted especially considering that it was quite expensive.  If I had paid $100, I would not be so disgusted.

OK

I bought a new Europiccola before sending my old one in for rebuild.  It is now 4 months old and is already breaking down.  Now, the green light comes on shortly after turning the unit on, and I open the steam valve to release the "false pressure".  No steam comes out of the steam wand.  Then it starts heating up again, so I must wait another 10 minutes until the green light goes out again.  At that point the unit works correctly.   I have now bought two of these expensive machines and both have broken down in 1 year and 4 months.

My old unit had the plastic base dissolving, so when I sent the old one in for rebuild, the company I sent it to ordered a new chrome base from La Pavoni.  It is now 4 months and the company still has not received the new base.  I can only guess that La Pavoni has shipped it by rowboat across the atlantic.

I am totally disgusted with these machines.

Posted: March 13, 2011, 8:08am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.190027952194)