La Pavoni Europiccola - Ricardo Soto's Review
Posted: October 23, 2006, 1:29am
La Pavoni Europiccola

Arrow The La Pavoni Europiccola has 57 Reviews
Arrow The La Pavoni Europiccola has been rated 7.98 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow La Pavoni Europiccola reviews have been viewed 335,991 times (updated hourly).

Theron Georges 9.67
Antonio Salles 9.50
Gino Magnotta 9.45
Gail McNeill 8.50
Marc Tischler 8.50

Manufacturer: Pavoni Quality: 9
Where Bought: Navy Exchange Aesthetics 10
Similar Items Owned: Ama Milano ECM9
Bottom Line: An absolute status symbol, this machine makes excellent espresso, it will last a lifetime and it will dress up any kitchen.

Sophisticated, romantic and classic design resulting in superb aesthetics, extreme durability and a great lasting finish. 100% fabulous Italian design, it makes great espresso and is the ultimate conversation piece in my kitchen.

Definitely not a beginners machine, expensive and a bit quirky to use, takes a bit of practice to master. The original power switch was not adequate to withstand the temperature, the base could be made a bit sturdier especially for a lever style machine, at times it feels like the tank could snap off during use (so far it has not). The water level gauge is not easy enough to read, it would have benefited from a floating marker to facilitate reading.

I purchased two Europiccolas at the Navy Exchange while stationed in Rota Spain In 1986, a two toned copper/ brass for me and a chromed one as a gift for my mother. My mother found hers to quirky so I ended up with both. The machines had been returned to the store due to defective power switches and sold at a discounted price after being repaired at the factory. The power switch could not stand the temperature and went bad after the second use, something I assume has been corrected by now after the subsequent 20 years. I acquired a  new switch for mine with a higher temperature rating from a local repair shop and it has been working ever since. Not a big deal since I got such a great discount but definitely not expected of such an expensive machine. Operation can be a bit quirky, definitely not the machine for the beginner but for the avid coffee aficionado that do not mind the ritual can be an excellent choice. On the other hand coffee quality is superb along with classy design, durability and eye catching looks. If I were to buy one again I would opt for the professional model that comes with a bigger water tank and a manometer. After the switch replacement it has given me nearly 20 years of service, the chrome still  is as bright as the day I purchased it,  what more can a customer ask for.

Not much to be said just a basic walk in purchase at the Navy Exchange and returns where not an option since the machine was purchased as a previously returned unit with a heavy price discount.

Posted: October 23, 2006, 1:29am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.209445953369)