La Pavoni Europiccola - Jeff Novick's Review
Posted: September 6, 2003, 3:26pm
La Pavoni Europiccola
Arrow Amazon

Arrow The La Pavoni Europiccola has 57 Reviews
Arrow The La Pavoni Europiccola has been rated 7.98 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow La Pavoni Europiccola reviews have been viewed 337,270 times (updated hourly).

Theron Georges 9.67
Antonio Salles 9.50
Gino Magnotta 9.45
Gail McNeill 8.50
Marc Tischler 8.50

Manufacturer: Pavoni Quality: 8
Where Bought: Thos. Cara,  S.F. Aesthetics 9
Writer's Expertise: Advanced Would Buy Again: Yes
Bottom Line: No other machine can be as much fun and teach you as much about espresso

Makes a great espresso
Looks beautiful
Plenty of steam
Involves the user

2 cup limit if you like milk based drinks
Ouch! Will bite you if not careful. Very hot.
Must use 2 hands for pulling shots.
Portafilter can be bigger

I have owned my Europiccola for over 20 years. This should say something about its value to me. Beside looking at my wife in the morning, the only other thing of beauty for me is my La Pavoni! Over 20 years and still going strong. This is one of the few machines being sold that actually teaches you more about espresso as you use it. Because you have to participate at every step of the way, you learn how to make a great espresso and what it takes to do so. Starting with the coffee, Graffeo, from S.F., the best coffee I've ever had anywhere!, you must get the grind and tamp right. This takes experimentation and practice. But, a word of warning. Crema is hard to come by. I think it is the nature of this particular model. I've read everything and talked to many users about crema with the Europiccola, and the most knowledgeable tell me that the machine is not powerful enough to get the kind of crema you see with a commercial E61 machine. This by no means takes away from the great shots you can get. Steaming milk is a snap. My only real beef with the Europiccola is the limitation in the amount of shots you can pull without running out of water. It is supposed to be an 8 cup machine. This is impossible. 2 is more like it, especially if you want steamed milk. This is fine for me, but, if I have friends over, it is too much of a hassle to prepare for a group of 4 or more. The portafilter is a bit small in size. 49mm. Commercial machines are 58mm. You get more coffee with a bigger filter. Not such a big deal.

Be careful, the machine is very hot to the touch. 2 hands are needed to pull a shot. 1 on the lever, 1 holding the drip tray base for stability. No big deal. No other machine can be this much fun. Every morning, I am still as fascinated as I was over 20 years ago!

Thomas Cara in San Francisco has been around forever. They sell and service these machines and know them like their children.

Posted: September 6, 2003, 3:26pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.202585935593)