La Pavoni Europiccola - Ola Bovin's Review
Posted: December 31, 2006, 8:41pm
La Pavoni Europiccola
Arrow EspressoOutlet.net

Arrow The La Pavoni Europiccola has 57 Reviews
Arrow The La Pavoni Europiccola has been rated 7.98 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow La Pavoni Europiccola reviews have been viewed 331,365 times (updated hourly).

Theron Georges 9.67
Antonio Salles 9.50
Gino Magnotta 9.45
Gail McNeill 8.50
Marc Tischler 8.50

Manufacturer: Pavoni Quality: 8
Where Bought: eBay Aesthetics 9
Bottom Line: Amazingly beautiful machine producing superb espresso

Beautiful machine made with materials that will last. Many variables involved that can improve the final cup. No plastic feeling. Quite easy to do maintenance work. Spare parts available. Good espresso.

The machine gets very hot! Barely enough steam pressure for steaming milk. 49 mm portafilter, (I would like wider diameter).  A bit of a learning curve.

I bought this machine on eBay nearly two years ago, and every day I enjoy many double espressos and my wife gets a latte or two. The machine I bought is 40 years-old (I think). It worked from start but it took me 2 days to figure out how to work it properly.

I once left it on all morning and afternoon (accidentally) and the gaskets burned (it does not have an auto-shut off, or even an on/off switch).  So, I ordered new gaskets and a sight glass and changed everything myself. Since my machine is so old it has a few things different from most newer Europpicolas. The head is soldered to the boiler on my model whereas it is fastened with two screws on newer models. This may be good to know when considering buying a machine since a few spare parts may not be available for older models. If I had known this I would have looked for a newer machine that doesn't have the soldered brewing head.

If you have some mechanical skills (or know some handy person) you can do all the maintenance yourself. Everything in my old machine is made from, metal, glass, rubber, bakelite. This means that if you care for your machine you can leave it for your grandchildren in the future.

The learning curve is not so bad. There are more variables, of course, with a lever machine than a pump one, but nothing that can't be learned.

With good quality, freshly roasted beans, good grind, hard tamp, and just the right pressure on the lever, you will get perfect espresso.

Not much to say.  eBay can be hit or miss. I was lucky. Reading through the seller's reviews helps a lot. Putting a few machines on your watch list a few weeks before you decide to bid will give a good indication of what the machines are going for.

Posted: December 31, 2006, 8:41pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.188895940781)