La Pavoni Europiccola - Daniel Bennett's Review
Posted: January 29, 2005, 12:04pm
La Pavoni Europiccola

Arrow The La Pavoni Europiccola has 57 Reviews
Arrow The La Pavoni Europiccola has been rated 7.98 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow La Pavoni Europiccola reviews have been viewed 334,493 times (updated hourly).

Theron Georges 9.67
Antonio Salles 9.50
Gino Magnotta 9.45
Gail McNeill 8.50
Marc Tischler 8.50

Manufacturer: Pavoni Quality: 8
Where Bought: italy-outlet.com Aesthetics 9
Similar Items Owned: La Pavoni Cellini
Bottom Line: Looks great, feels poor, doesn't make good coffee but makes the world's most stylish milk steamer!

It looks amazing. The company is excellent and the technicians really try their best to help. Your friends will love its chic look  and you will find the gorgeous steam pipe easy to keep clean. Maybe in the 1950s it was the business.

It feels cheap. The supplier I bought mine from is dreadful. You can't possibly make good coffee with it because it is MUCH TOO HOT.You will end up cursing it. Today it's just a trap for fashion victims to fall in.

Main flaw is that it produces water at much too high a temperature to make good coffee. It just scalds it every time. There's no pressure guage. The base is much too light. The machine is made to be pumped by hand and so it would have been sensible to make the base very heavy and solid. But it isn't -  its as light as can be and the machine slips about like a wet fish. The best thing about this machine should be the pleasure of drawing the water through the coffee bed with the aid of the elegant steel lever. But because the machine is so light even when its full of water it has to be steadied with the other hand and because of the heat no matter how carefully you draw the water it comes out rather bitter. Although it looks amazing there are parts of it that are just so cheap it defies reason - the grid and drip tray are truly dreadful, the filter baskets don't quite fit the filter holder the way you would expect them to. In fact the whole thing is so disappointing that I am amazed it has the reputation it has.  But it does look amazing and although I will probably never use it again to make coffee I keep it in the kitchen for streaming milk, which it is good at!!

Italy-outlet.com are simply dreadful. They sold the machine as UK specification model but sent an Italian version that required a scrape-earth European adaptor (not easy to find anywhere) and a guarantee sheet that was only valid in Italy.  They debited my credit card twice and failed to notice (good job I did) and when I wanted to return the item they were either completely incompetent and didn't know their own courier codes or else they deliberately mislead me. Either way I ended up so sceptical I thought if I send it back I might loose the machine AND my money so I kept it. I realised (too late for this purchase unfortunately) that La-Pavoni have their own website (Lapavoni.com) and accept worldwide orders. Subsequently I bought a Cellini machine directly from them and the service was infinitely better. I think a lot of people have had trouble ordering stuff from Italy-outlet that hasn't been exactly what they wanted. They also trade under other names including italia-outlet.com,  i4T, italytrade, taste of italy and some other but always use the address Via Pontavai 95, 31029 Vittorio veneto . Avoid them!
It's curious that other reviewers have had exactly the same experience with this company(wrong plugs and cards debited for double the correct amount and no replies to emails). This is definitely a company that should be avoided !!

Posted: January 29, 2005, 12:04pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.196321964264)