La Pavoni Europiccola - John Hawkins's Review
Posted: January 29, 2000, 7:45am
La Pavoni Europiccola

Arrow The La Pavoni Europiccola has 57 Reviews
Arrow The La Pavoni Europiccola has been rated 7.98 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow La Pavoni Europiccola reviews have been viewed 329,822 times (updated hourly).

Theron Georges 9.67
Antonio Salles 9.50
Gino Magnotta 9.45
Gail McNeill 8.50
Marc Tischler 8.50

Manufacturer: Pavoni Quality: 10
Where Bought: Aesthetics 8
Writer's Expertise: Intermediate Would Buy Again: n/a
Bottom Line: Great machine - Beautiful - Great Espresso - Sensitive to grind and tamp - Requires patience to master

Beautiful looking machine (I consider it a piece of art for my kitchen) - Makes a great espresso (once you master the machine) - Easy to clean

Very sensitive to grind and tamp (But aren‘t all pump machines if you are seeking a great or good cup of espresso?) - Exterior gets hot! (be careful around children)

If you are considering one of these machines, I recommend going to and reading the information at http://kazys.net/pavoni/ which will help you through the learning curve of these machines. If you are looking for spare parts, I picked up a couple of extra filter baskets from Brewmaster Coffee http://www.bssci.com/ which responded quickly to my email inquires at a price I believe was fair. Buy this machine only if you are looking to brew a great espresso in your home or office, are really patient and aren‘t looking to make more than two or three espressos at a time. I love my machine, but the Silvia is a great machine and may be better suited for some people. If you looking to make espresso flavored milk drinks (i.e. latte) this machine will do the job, but you could save hundreds of dollars by buying a cheap stream machine at your local discount store. When I first got my Europiccola it took me a couple of hours and many shots to get the right combination of grind and tamp. I also did not have a burr grinder (yes, if you plan to grind your own bean for this machine you will need a burr grinder) and it took several trips to my local bean supplier to find the right grind (turkish grind on his commercial grinder). You will need to be patient when you first get the machine before you get it right. By the way I found mine in ebay and paid $320.00 (US) + $20.00 (US) shipping. This was a new, in the box, brass Europiccola. There are a number of places that carry demo machines and new machines at gtreat prices (on the web). Don‘t rush your purchase, shop around and you will find some for much less than retail (over $585.00 US at several local suppliers). I cannot over emphasize the importance of grind and tamp. As I mentioned above, I grind very fine and tamp at around 30 lbs. of pressure which results in a wonderful espresso.

Posted: January 29, 2000, 7:45am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.180838108063)