Krups XP4000 Series - Nick DeJesu's Review
Posted: September 14, 2007, 3:08pm
Krups XP4000 Series Espresso Machines

Arrow The Krups XP4000 Series has 29 Reviews
Arrow The Krups XP4000 Series has been rated 5.46 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 19, 2005.
Arrow Krups XP4000 Series reviews have been viewed 176,076 times (updated hourly).

Myq Larson 8.00

Manufacturer: Krups Quality: 5
Where Bought: ebay Aesthetics 7
Writer's Expertise: Just starting Would Buy Again: No
Similar Items Owned: simonelli oscar
Bottom Line: better to spend more for a better machine.

First coffees I made once I turned it on were really good - froth, texture and amount were similar to what I get when I go to a bar in Naples, Italy.

The next day I tired to make an espresso and it came up without any froth and just some dark liquid dripping into the coffee cup. Same grinder/settings, same coffee as the night before.

I bought the machine on eBay for $129. It was to replace my Simonelli Oscar machine that had a leaking cylinder.  The simonelli costs around 4x the price of the Krupp and is more of a semi-professional machine. However, for the amount of espresso that I drink, the Krupp should be enough. I have a good grinder that I bought several years ago and used it to grind up some of the dark roast espresso beans from Starbucks. The first couple of coffees came out perfect in both taste and texture/froth. We had about 6 cups and then I turned off the machine for the night. The next day I made the same coffee with the grinder set as it was the night before along with the same beans. The coffee did not come out  as it did the night before and tended to splatter a bit and drip out as if the grinds were too fine. Then steam started to rise from around the handle. The coffee was bitter with no froth. I tried it several other times, adjusting the grind on the coffee to make it less fine and still it would not come through properly. It may be because of the previous nights coffee grinds are blocking the filter, but that would be sad after only a couple of espressos.

Good price.

The problem seems to be that once the machine heats up, it stops working (the pump).  If you shut it off and then turn it on, followed by the power on, it will make an espresso. Once 1 espresso is done, you need ot shut off the power between making another one as the heat will shut down the pump.

Posted: September 14, 2007, 3:08pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.179391860962)