Krups XP4000 Series - Leonard Micay's Review
Posted: April 17, 2006, 8:01am
Krups XP4000 Series Espresso Machines

Arrow The Krups XP4000 Series has 29 Reviews
Arrow The Krups XP4000 Series has been rated 5.46 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 19, 2005.
Arrow Krups XP4000 Series reviews have been viewed 176,751 times (updated hourly).

Myq Larson 8.00
Martin Phaneuf 7.66
Ramadhan Sjamsani 7.25
Kristie Gill 7.00
Stanley Wong 7.00

Product Reviewed: XP 4020
Manufacturer: Krups Quality: 8
Where Bought: Caynes (on-line) Aesthetics 9
Bottom Line: Good machine. NEW LINK added. Improvements described.

Commentary below has been updated May 11, and now has a link
to a web-page with photos of some upgrades made to my Krups.

See commentary

Picture on this site is of the XP 4050, not this machine, which has an on/off switch and a rotary dial on the front for function selection.

NEW INFO - May 11.   I have set up a web page with detailed instructions, and photos, on improvements I have made to this espresso machine.  Included are the addition of a brass drain from the drain tray into an adjacent sink, for automatic draining, and the stainless steel ring mentioned below. These will apply to all Krups XP series, and other brands as well.   Visit  http://krupsxpupgrade.bravehost.com/

Previous review:
I use Lavazza Qualita Oro ground espresso in the Italian can,  and have no problem with blockage in the strainer.  Steaming function works just fine.  Espresso delivered is much hotter, and more crema than previous Krups Model 882 which lasted for 13 years at 3 or 4 uses a day.  Only some rubber parts needed replacement in that time.  I hope this machine lasts as long.
Loud noise made by the machine drowns out the noise of the streetcar that turns 2 floors below my apartment.
A great price for a very good machine. Stainless steel in all the right places. On the exterior at least, as I've yet to open the machine.

Changing from steam preheat to espresso preheat runs 3 bursts of water into the tray by tube to cool the block.
This does mean more frequent emptying of the tray.
The frother attachment is a bit flimsy on the fit of the smaller tube that allows air in to mix with the steam.
I am trying a small amount of silicone glue  on the exterior of the tube to hold it better in place.  Don't plug the tiny hole in the rubber if you do this.

This is additional commentary to my earlier review.

The repair to the small stainless tube on the XP 4020 with silicone was very successful.
A small donut shaped ring of silicone was put around both ends of the tube, approximately 2 or 3 mm (1/8 inch) from each end. Tube was then re-inserted in the black rubber, and glue smoothed and tidied and left to cure for several hours.
Clear or black, high quality silicone could be used.  I had white and used that.
Steamer is sturdier now.

Also, and this tip could be used by any espresso machine owner:
I obtained some relatively thin stainless steel wire from Home Depot.  Brass wire might also work okay.
I shaped a circle to fit around the small stainless steel pitcher I use to draw espresso.
I then attached that circle with additional s/s wire, and mounted the circle to the tray below it, with 3 legs, about half an inch higher than the tray, and solidly attached to it. ( S/S wire is very stiff and tricky to work with. Needlenose pliers are best. )

This means that whenever I put the pitcher under the espresso outlet holes, it automatically is centred in the right place, by fitting inside the ring.  See photos at the link given above.

Great price, quick delivery from Caynes.

Posted: April 17, 2006, 8:01am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.190930843353)