Krups XP4000 Series - Anthony C's Review
Posted: January 6, 2010, 7:19pm
Krups XP4000 Series Espresso Machines

Arrow The Krups XP4000 Series has 29 Reviews
Arrow The Krups XP4000 Series has been rated 5.46 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 19, 2005.
Arrow Krups XP4000 Series reviews have been viewed 176,769 times (updated hourly).

Myq Larson 8.00

Product Reviewed: xp4030
Manufacturer: Krups Quality: 3
Where Bought: Bed Bath & Beyond Aesthetics 5
Writer's Expertise: I live coffee Would Buy Again: No
Bottom Line: Good if you dont care, or dont know what you're doing, but serious buyers should drop a bit more cash for a real machine.

Easy to use, let me break into the espresso world without breaking into my bank account. The machine was pretty capable once some basic mods were made. Big heavy portafilter.

Plastic parts, pressurized filter baskets, thermoblock, the steam wand is practically garbage, hard to find replacement gaskets, never managed to remove the dispersion screen for a full cleaning, small water reservoir, easily choked.

The machine is a low end consumer model designed for the anybody, that i s, the anybody who has no idea what real espresso tastes like. the machine uses pressurized baskets and a not too easily modified frothing attachment that make the system perfect for anyone who considers S'bucks the king of coffee.
After switching out for non pressurized baskets, removing the steam wand and replacing it with a DIY acorn nut style wand, and buying a capable grinder, I did manage to squeeze a few good shots out of her, and while it did take far to long to heat up, I managed to get satisfactory microfoam from the modded wand.
The machine choked at grinds that on most prosumer models wouldn't be fit for drinking. Though somehow the combination of hardware and grind worked while I had it, and the machine was a good entry point for me.

final thought: after switching the baskets, modding the wand, and learning to tamp, buying a grinder and trying new roasts, I managed to develop an appreciation for coffee I never had before, and learned enough of the style necessary to move into the prosumer market fully capable. The experience with the machine taught me a bit about how grind, temp, tamp, and freshness all influence final taste, and I think the learning experience was worth it.

BB&B? well, I dont normally care for them, but I guess it was alright.

Posted: January 6, 2010, 7:19pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249863147736)