Krups Novo Series - Karen Nakamura's Review
Posted: June 20, 2000, 9:21pm
Krups Novo Series - Old Models

Arrow The Krups Novo Series has 49 Reviews
Arrow The Krups Novo Series has been rated 6.00 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Krups Novo Series reviews have been viewed 250,815 times (updated hourly).

Bob Kim 8.67

Product Reviewed: Krups Novo 2300
Manufacturer: Krups Quality: 4
Where Bought: Aesthetics 4
Writer's Expertise: Intermediate Would Buy Again: n/a
Bottom Line: Get a Gaggia or Saeco for less. Germans cant make espresso (makers).

Can buy it anywhere quickly
Can return it to same store just as quickly
Cleanup is fairly quick
Can use ESE pod system for bleary mornings

Plastic casing is weak, breaks
Portafilter/brewhead connection is weak, leaks, threatens to come undone while brewing
Steam is wimpy and wet
Auto-cappucino is a hoax

My first espresso machine was a Krups Bravo,  a steam powered toy ($50). It made a nice strong coffee with a hint of espresso taste. After I got hooked, I went a level up and bought this unit (Krups Novo 2300) for $199 at my local Bed-Bath-and-Beyond. It was the "highest end" machine I could find in the New Haven area.

Stupid me, I should have driven to Zabars in NYC and gotten something much better for the same price. Germans just dont get espresso (makers).

That being said, I enjoyed the first three weeks of my Krups Novo 2300. Its fairly tolerant of user-failure. The ESE pods, for all everyone says, are great for those mornings where I can barely get my eyes open, let alone dose-tamp-pull-clean. I usually drink an Americano in the morning followed by 2-3 lattes during the day.

The Americanos are for the caffeine. The lattes are my afternoon treats. The espresso from this unit isnt bad, its about Starbucks quality (when the portafilter isnt leaking water into your drink), which isnt saying much. Theres usually a modest crema, although this may be due to the crema enhancing portafilter. Not bad, just not something youd shout out "Molto Squisito!!"

It was the latte performance that was the first disappointment. The steamer is a toy, it has no power and just produces a wet, weak steam. Its almost impossible to steam a good cap manually using it.  You can use the "auto-cappucino" feature which sucks up milk through a flexible straw, froths it, and dumps it in your cup. Its easy to use and clean-up. But the bubbles are large and not the "micro-froth" that youll find at the best cafes.

For a beginner, its a great machine. Its very tolerant and makes a decent drink in most conditions. Its just that its impossible to make a great drink out of it.

Furthermore, the nail in the coffin and the reason its going back to the store (I love BBBs return policy) is that it has developed three major flaws in the 6 weeks I have had it:

1) The plastic casing has developed a visible crack in it. The entire unit is made of plastic and when you pull on the portafilter, you can actually see the entire machine twist ever so slightly, repetitive stress causes a crack along one of the fault lines. This is why a stainless steel body in the > $300 units is a goid feature. Your espresso maker shouldnt sway in the wind....

2) Portafilter leaks. No matter how scrupulously clean I keep it, the brewhead leaks. This is fine when I want Americano, its a pain when Im trying to pull a straight espresso.

3) The portafilter occasionally threatens to unscrew itself and blow off during pulling. Ive seen the portafilter lever move on its own accord a few centimeters. Ive always stopped it before it blew off (not wanting to conduct that particular experiment), but its unsettling. The portafilter just doesnt want to lock onto the brewhead very well.

In summary, its not a bad machine and I can see many non-espresso afficianados (most Americans) being happy with it. Its a consumer machine, tolerant of most mistakes and designed to be used once or twice a week. If you gave one to your evil stepmother who drinks "expresso," shed most probably be thrilled with it (unless she has a stainless fetish).

Most people will buy it at their local kitchen store or Sears, not knowing that they can get the real thing for about the same price (Daily Grind has Gaggia Coffees for $199). Its their loss, but they wont be unhappy with their purchase unless they know better.

Me? I just bought a slightly defective Silvia from Daily Grind for $300 (missing screws and the motor mount is cracked; replacement part on its way). Ill post that review separately once I get used to Miss Silvia in my house.

AbschiedsKrups!

Benvenuto, Signorina Silvia!

Posted: June 20, 2000, 9:21pm
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.194725990295)