KitchenAid ProLine - Roman Beyga's Review
Posted: August 17, 2011, 11:14pm
KitchenAid ProLine Espresso

Arrow The KitchenAid ProLine has 17 Reviews
Arrow The KitchenAid ProLine has been rated 7.22 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since November 8, 2003.
Arrow KitchenAid ProLine reviews have been viewed 126,248 times (updated hourly).

Russell B 10.00
Mike Martin 8.00
Glenn Little 7.75
Greg Hancock 7.42
Mike Garner 7.25

Manufacturer: KitchenAid Quality: 7
Where Bought: Craigslist Aesthetics 10
Similar Items Owned: Starbucks Barista
Bottom Line: Excellent consumer machine with good temperature and pressure for a great shot of espresso!!

Double Boiler
Quick heat up
Three way solenoid to release pressure after pulling shots
It's beautiful!
Large water reservoir
Very inexpensive
Lots of dry steam if you're into milky drinks
Makes EXCELLENT QUALITY SHOTS!
Heavy, well built machine
Parts can be bought from Parts Guru (same as gaggia classic internals)
58 mm portafilter

It isn't a professional grade machine
The boiler could be bigger
The switches are very poor quality and stop working
The steam valve doesn't close all the way and shoots a bit of steam when you don't need it
Gauges are poor quality (my espresso temp gauge stopped working).
Kitchenaid does not have any support for this (very expensive when new) machine. I would never buy a new kitchenaid appliance after witnessing this lack of support.

I started my espresso adventure with a Starbucks Barista machine, and used to drink espresso maybe once every two weeks or so. One day, I saw a listing for the Kitchenaid Proline on Craigslist for $70, with non-working switches. I thought, what the heck. It's a beautiful piece of machinery and only costs $70, so I purchased it and repaired everything which was wrong with it. This included the switches (I replaced with toggle style switches from Radio Shack), the main boiler thermostat, one of the thermal fuses had blown, so I bypassed it, and the three way pressure relief valve had lost its hose, so water was going everywhere. After those things were taken care of.. WOW. That's all I can say. This machine makes some of the best espresso I've ever tasted. After upgrading to this from the Barista, I have espresso multiple times every day, and have taken up coffee roasting. Also, I upgraded my grinder to a Mazzer Super Jolly from my previous Kitchenaid Proline grinder. This made a large difference in the taste of the espresso.

After a few months, I made my own custom PID for the machine and noticed that it had been running a bit hot and brewing the espresso at too high of a temperature. The PID improved the taste of the shots even more. If you order a generic PID kit off of Ebay and a washer style thermocouple, it will cost no more than $60.. and if you don't mind doing some custom wiring.

All in all, I'm VERY satisfied with this machine. I'm going to upgrade to something bigger and more commercial in the next few weeks, but that's just because I enjoy gadgets, and not a shortcoming of this machine. I highly recommend it if you find one for a good price on Craigslist or Ebay, as they are no longer sold new.

It was.. Craigslist. I mean, it depends on who you're dealing with. In this case, the exchange went smoothly, but the seller neglected to mention that one thermostat was malfunctioning and that the machine was leaking like crazy. Thankfully, changing the thermostat was a $20 ordeal and the leak was simply a blown off hose from the three way solenoid.

Posted: August 17, 2011, 11:14pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.184362888336)