Jura-Capresso F Series - Thomas Barnes's Review
Posted: July 4, 2007, 11:13pm
Jura-Capresso F Series Super Autos

Arrow The Jura-Capresso F Series has 12 Reviews
Arrow The Jura-Capresso F Series has been rated 7.87 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since May 13, 2003.
Arrow Jura-Capresso F Series reviews have been viewed 79,127 times (updated hourly).

Mark Thomas 9.00

Product Reviewed: Capresso F7
Manufacturer: Jura Quality: 10
Where Bought: Unclaimmed Baggage Center Aesthetics 10
Similar Items Owned: Krups Orchestro
Bottom Line: My Krups Orchestro has been a beautiful source of daily pleasure in my life.  The The Jura-Capresso F7 steps it up a notch or two!

Beautiful machine with easy controls and easy clean-up.  The shot is good, as good as any I have had.

The F7 has no programmable option for distilled water.  The F7 comes with a water filter that can be installed and allows a filtered water option.  We use a Durastill to distill all of the water that we use for coffee or tea and expect no calcification.  Distilled water is better for the system than filtered and should be programmable in the water quality set up.

Real maintenance information does not seem to be available to the home technician for the F7 and wasnít available for the Orchestro.  That bites!  What has happened to the time when you could get maintenance information on anything you owned and could buy replacement parts too!  Have we, as a society, gotten so bad that we are no longer trusted to repair anything ourselves?

I have had my Krups sine 2002, I think.  I have had excellent service from it and have enjoyed it every day except the two months that Krups had it for a recall.  A couple of weeks ago, my Krups started to hang in the coffee dump cycle.  I feel that it is an issue of something in the mechanism needing to be cleaned and would be easy to do if there were any service information.   Those little headless screws that hold the covers on are a bit tricky on the Krups too.  I hate to use pliars, but they work!

I sent the Krups back on the power recall and was deprived of it for two months so the thought of sending it back for maintenance disturbs me more than a little.   That and my daughters wanting to move out with my Orchestro has driven me to looking for another machine and the F7 is it.  The F7 has all of the things that I loved about the Orchestro, is easier to use and looks more sophisticated.  What is not to love?

The Jura-Capresso F7 showed up in my favorite shopping place and the price was right so I bought it.  The looks in the displays on line do not do it justice.  It is a beautiful machine!

The set up is pretty much the same as the Krups Orchestro and the mechanism sounds the same.  The differences are in the controls and the appearance package.  Jura did a terrific job on both of those.  They added some attractive backlighting and a really cool display in red LED that attracts attention.  LED display technology is excellent technology and should last forever.  That is a plus.

Like the Krups, you put water in one side and coffee beans in the other and take out the used grounds out from the center.

The cup capacity control is much nicer in that you can change cup size almost anytime while making a cup.  I like that because I like a two-ounce espresso, but guests often want a six or eight ounce cup.  The methodology for changing the strength and volume of coffee made per cup is easy enough, but takes a couple of times through to become natural.  That isnít so good with guests, but workable.

The system seems deeper than the Orchestro and may take a little more counter space.

The F7 uses two stainless steel lined water heaters, one for the coffee press and another for steam and hot water.  The Orchestro used only one.  That makes the Capresso F7 a bit easier to use for latte or cappuccino.  I mostly use the microwave to heat milk for a latte and use a Capresso foamer for cappuccino, so I probably wonít use the steam system much.  I go for the easy!

I have used the F7 enough to know that it is going to be a hit.

How you make your cup is a personal decision, but if you want an espresso shop in your dining room, the F7 will make it one you will be proud of!

I hit the bargin stores and rely on self help for my buying decisions.  That was the case in this instance.  The Capresso F7 showed up on a shelf in my local Unclaimed Baggage Center about a month ago.  It was NIB and came in marked at $600.00.  Unclaimed Baggage marks merchandise down as it sits on the shelf.  I was waiting on this unit to move to the 50% mark down, but lost my nerve and bought it at 25% off.  I am extremely happy with that decision.

Having used my Jura Capresso F7 for three months and through one cleaning cycle, I can add some to my original review.

I just had to run the cleaning cycle on the F7.  I owned and used a Krups Orchestro before.  The cleaning cycle on the Krups was shakey at best.  You had to watch the machine through the entire cycle and any wrong move resulted in having to restart the cycle.  The cleaning cycle on the F7 is straight forward and sure.  You set it up and walk away from it.  When it is done, you rinse the grounds container, refill the water and you are done!

The controls on the Jura are great.  Idiosyncratic to a degree, but basically simple once you get used to them.  They give you more control than was avaliable on the Krups.

The mechanism sounds and operates just like the Krups.  I suspect that the mechanism is the same design with some technical tweaks.

Over all, after three months of use, I am totally satisfied with the Jura F7 and would buy it again - faster!

Posted: July 4, 2007, 11:13pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.200275182724)