Starbucks Italia - Debbie Taylor's Review
Posted: February 23, 2004, 2:01pm
Starbucks Italia

Arrow The Starbucks Italia has 13 Reviews
Arrow The Starbucks Italia has been rated 7.85 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since February 3, 2003.
Arrow Starbucks Italia reviews have been viewed 79,154 times (updated hourly).

G M 7.33
Patrick McPherson 7.00
Erwin H 6.33
David Faw 6.00
Richard Wicker 6.00

Owned for: 2 weeks Overall 9
Similar Items Owned: starbucks Barista & Krups Gusto
Bottom Line: This machine was everything I read it would be and I couldn't be happier.

This machine is wonderful.   Once the machine is warmed up (approx. 2 minutes) , you can steam immediately.  Push one button and it will grind, tamp, pull the shot and dump the puck.  Clean up is a breeze, rinsing parts with warm water for the most part.  Having a bypass doser is a plus -- enabling you to switch between full strength and decaf.

The plastic reservoir that catches all the liquids is painted silver and it wears off.  It probably would have been better the same color as the warming plate.  The Warming surface is useless in my opinion.  I rather it not  have one or at least be able to turn it off.  Had I bought the Digital Italia, I could have done that but couldn't justify the difference in price.    The machine is bulky and takes up quite a bit of counter space.

Since I purchased the Saeco Italia, I have enjoyed a whole new experience in the espresso world.  With the Saeco Italia, I can make two Venti Latte's in almost the same amount of time it took to make one on my Barista.  I was looking for something to speed up the process and this machine does just that.  I would say the biggest reasons for that are the easy clean up and the fact that you don't have to deal with priming like on the Barista .  Priming with the Italia  is minimal.  It makes a beautiful shot of expresso.  As far as coffee, I have only used Starbucks Espresso Roast and it works beautifully.  I use Starbucks Decaf Espresso Roast in the Bypass Doser which aslo works very well.  Programming the machine has been very simple.   Right out of the box , the machine was everything I expected.

I had a wonderful buying experience with Starbucks.  I don't think I would purchase a machine from any other store.  They stand behind their warranty and that speaks for itself.

It's been over three months now and I am still very happy with my Saeco Italia.  I do wish I had wanted to spend the extra money on the digital.  I would really like to have had all the extra features plus that machine has more metal parts.  However, my machine is still behaving beautifully.    I have not missed my Barista at all.  Until now, I thought the Barista was the best machine ever.

I have been using my Saeco up unitl a couple of months ago.  The steam pump  went out and I  had to upgrade  to the Digital Italia.  Fortuneately it was on sale!  Though, I wasn't happy about having to put up more money, it could have been worse!  The Digital is really awesome.  It is pretty much the same as the other machine but with a few more bells and whistles and of course it having more metal parts.  Since this machine is only a couple of months old, I can't give it a fair review.

Posted: February 23, 2004, 2:01pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.194066047668)