Gaggia Cubika - Tauseef Mehrali's Review
Posted: May 19, 2004, 2:51am
Gaggia Cubika

Arrow The Gaggia Cubika has 11 Reviews
Arrow The Gaggia Cubika has been rated 6.33 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since May 3, 2005.
Arrow Gaggia Cubika reviews have been viewed 66,691 times (updated hourly).

Adrian Hall 9.00
Colin Gent 8.33
James Whitby 7.20
Pete Wearn 6.50
Janice Smith 6.00

Where Bought: Rackhams (House of Fraser) Aesthetics 9
Bottom Line: A well crafted, good looking, reasonably priced  machine that despite an apparently ubiquitous early fault (rapidly repaired) produces excellent espresso.

- Very stylish
- Reproducibly good espresso with crema
- Functional hot plate
- Easy to clean
- Excellent customer service

- Early button trouble required repair
- Water tank fiddly to remove and replace

As a coffee-making novice prior to purchasing this machine, I was looking for a reliable brand at a good price. The Cubika did not disappoint and I was producing excellent coffee from the outset.

The Machine

Everyone who passes through the kitchen comments on the Cubika. The simple, slick design is eye-catching yet unobtrusive and the metalwork gives it a substantial feel, betraying the cost. I haven’t made much use of the steam facility as I’m fast becoming a hardened espresso addict.

The Accessories

The Cubika comes with a filter holder, single and double filters, a measuring spoon and a double-ended plastic tamper. As Mike Brown mentions in his review, ‘the instruction book mentions an optional "perfect cream" device - this is not supplied with the machine’.

The Coffee

A+. Once you have found the roast for you, the Cubika ensures it is transformed into an exceptional espresso. I always get a thick crema (using various Lavazza coffees – I simply do not have the time a true cognoscente would set aside to grow the coffee beans in my allotment!) and the espresso emerges at a good temperature.

Problems?

My state of bliss was interrupted 3 months after purchasing the Cubika when the on/off button jammed in the off position. I contacted Gaggia who did not seem surprised (Mike Brown mentions a similar problem in his review). They arranged for the machine to be picked up at their expense and had it repaired and returned within a fortnight. The machine has functioned reliably thereafter.

The water tank is a real nightmare to remove and replace because of the position of the steam wand so I tend to remove stagnant water by simply letting it run through the machine.

The Conclusion

A very pleasing first foray into the world of coffee-making.

I purchased the item from Rackhams and took it home the same day. They added some ground coffee as well as whole beans for free. I deal directly with Gaggia for maintenance issues. Their service has been exemplary.

Still going strong and now that I've added a grinder (Dualit Grinder) and found a reliable blend (Whittard's Guatemalan Elephant), I'm en route to espresso heaven.

Posted: May 19, 2004, 2:51am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.192608833313)