Gaggia Carezza - Robert Seidlitz's Review
Posted: December 11, 2006, 9:58pm
Gaggia Carezza Espresso Machine

Arrow The Gaggia Carezza has 27 Reviews
Arrow The Gaggia Carezza has been rated 7.51 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since November 2, 2003.
Arrow Gaggia Carezza reviews have been viewed 164,380 times (updated hourly).

Dr. Robert Case 8.89
Greg Kaan 8.17
Brent L 8.00
Matthew Hall 8.00
Robert Seidlitz 8.00

Where Bought: Kitchen Universe Aesthetics 7
Similar Items Owned: ECM Giotto Premium
Bottom Line: Excellent value for the money and a great entry-level machine

- 58mm portafilter
- brass boiler
- high wattage (1370 W) to boiler size (3.5 oz) ratio equals quick heat-up and recovery times
- good reservoir design: water level is visible plus it can be filled by pulling it out a bit, or by pouring over the top of the machine, or by taking it out and filling at sink
- simple to use rocker switches

- microscopic drip tray (or as some wag called it, drop tray)
- frothing with the "turbo frothing" wand not so good
- low clearance to fit in the frothing pitcher under the wand
- lack of cup warmer

The deal with my wife was that I would purchase an entry-level machine and use it for a year before investing in a prosumer machine.  After extensive reading, especially the glowing reviews by coffeecrew.com http://www.coffeecrew.com/content/view/139/27/ and right here on CG http://www.coffeegeek.com/proreviews/firstlook/carezza I decided on a Carezza.  I ordered it from Kitchen Universe in Florida (despite living on Vancouver Island) because it was the only place it could be ordered in white.

The small drip tray wasn't a problem for me; I just kept a tea-cup under the pf for flushes and rinses.  I unscrewed the double spout which increased the drip tray to bottom of pf distance and made it easier to fit in taller cups.  The panarello frothing wand was okay, not great.  To increase the height of the wand and make it easier to fit in the frothing pitcher, I set the Carezza on a Coffee Caddy, which added 1" as well as allowed it to be slid out for easier water filling.

The Carezza did everything I expected to and is a great entry-level, first-time machine.  It makes good espresso and milk-based drinks.  However, I really wanted to move up to a prosumer hx machine and succeeded in whining so much I was given persmission to do so last month.  I would have no qualms recommending the Carezza to a friend or relative.

Simple to order online from Kitchen Universe.  Good deal, quick shipping.  Didn't seem like a terribly knowledgeable coffee retailer, though.

Posted: December 11, 2006, 9:58pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.182874917984)