Gaggia Espresso - Neil Edwards's Review
Posted: June 26, 2002, 10:01am
Gaggia Espresso

Arrow The Gaggia Espresso has 33 Reviews
Arrow The Gaggia Espresso has been rated 7.67 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Gaggia Espresso reviews have been viewed 168,856 times (updated hourly).

John Schmidt 8.56
Brad C. 8.45
Shawn Duden 8.00
Vils M. DiSanto 7.88
Stephen Bozler 7.87

Where Bought: ebay Aesthetics 2
Writer's Expertise: Professional Would Buy Again: Yes
Bottom Line: Probably the best price to value ratio I have seen in a home machine.

This machine features a heavy porta-filter.  It can produce micro-foam.  It brews with acceptable temperature and pressure.  Easy to use.  Actually makes true espresso for a low price.

Vibratory pump can not be adjusted for fine-tuning.  The thermostat is the same (I think.)  I think the pressure is a little high (though that's better than the alternative!)  The steam wand is just awful.  The housing is flimsy.

I like this little machine, for what it is.  The porta-filter is heavy, and feels like it isn't made of cardboard.  This is not a commercial machine, but it is good.  The price is great.  I can't think of a better example of a machine for home use that offers such and impressive value to price ratio.  It can make drinkable espresso and milk foam.  Unless I wanted to spend two thousand dollars or more on a machine, this would probably be my home machine of choice.  The steam wand on these Gaggias (gaggi?) are an insult to the intelligence of the owner.  I don't think that I would buy the more expensive models, because of the Silva and because this machine does what I want for a great price.  I would rather buy this machine than anything under one thousand dollars, just because of the cost vs. value ratio.

I bought it from ebay.  It was fine.

At this point I didn't know what to think of this machine, but my enthusiasm had waned a bit.

I have had this machine for well over a year, and now I am sick to death of it.  The only reason to own a low end home machine is if nobody in your area is making decent espresso.  If you are serious about espresso, you need a machine that lets you adjust the temperature and pressure.  I feel that I have really learned how to make this machine dance for me, but it just isn't good enough.

Posted: June 26, 2002, 10:01am
Don't suffer bad espresso
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.18302321434)