Gaggia Coffee - Bill Ezell's Review
Posted: April 28, 2003, 6:49am
Gaggia Coffee Espresso Machine

Arrow The Gaggia Coffee has 30 Reviews
Arrow The Gaggia Coffee has been rated 8.20 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Gaggia Coffee reviews have been viewed 198,702 times (updated hourly).

Russ Sahagian 9.50
Tim Eggers 9.00
Thomas Gauperaa 7.84
Antony Prince 7.80
John Bair 7.75

Where Bought: somewhere long forgotten Aesthetics 8
Writer's Expertise: Advanced Would Buy Again: Maybe
Bottom Line: A very good machine for the price, and reliability can't be beat.

It's  good machine in the lower-cost area and is capable of producing excellent shots with some care. Mine has worked perfectly for many years.

It's no beauty, but does have a certain homely appeal. Filling the water tank is a little inconvenient. Throw away the little plastic steamer attachment.

I've owned mine for many years, so many I've lost track. Let's call it 6 years. Over that time, I've never had a problem with it, and have used it pretty much daily. So, from a reliability point of view, it's great. It can produce excellent shots, but you need to control a lot of variables to do so consistenly. This is more a fault of having a single-boiler, non-heat-exchanger system, not a problem with the Gaggia per-se. You do need a grinder that can produce a proper espresso grind, i.e., fine enough. Without that, you won't produce good shots no matter how good the machine is!

I've finally retired the Gaggia, not because it doesn't work, but because I managed to convince my wife that I deserved to move up to an Isomac Tea. The major difference with the more expensive machine is that it is MUCH easier to produce consistenly good shots, and you can crank them out pretty much continuously.

One thing I would suggest... if the Gaggia still comes with a little plastic sleeve that goes over the steaming wand, throw it out. It's a crutch and won't produce a decent microfoamed froth. Learn how to froth properly, it's worth the effort. Speaking of frothing, steam capacity can be a problem. I used to run out of steam when trying to do too large a quantity of milk. However, recovery is quick, so it's not a disaster.

I don't have a clue where I got this machine anymore!

Posted: April 28, 2003, 6:49am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.187860965729)