Gaggia Classic - Bob Pasternak's Review
Posted: February 12, 2011, 3:12pm
Gaggia Classic Machine

Arrow The Gaggia Classic has 79 Reviews
Arrow The Gaggia Classic has been rated 8.04 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Gaggia Classic reviews have been viewed 651,879 times (updated hourly).

Daryl Cross 9.00

Where Bought: Amazon Aesthetics 6
Owned for: 2 weeks Overall 4
Writer's Expertise: I like coffee Would Buy Again: No
Similar Items Owned: Delonghi Entry level pump espresso machine
Bottom Line: I tried and tried. But I never pulled a good shot with this machine.  Stick with vendors with a liberal return policy.

Produces real espresso, with syrupy mouth feel and good crema.
Warm up is quick.
3-Way solenoid valve is nice feature.
Doesn't take up a lot of room on kitchen counter.
Stainless Steel construction is nice.

Every shot, without even one exception, is sour.
Small boiler is inadequate for steaming.  I have to wait in the middle of steaming 6 ounces of milk.

I'm new to making espresso.
Every single shot from this machine has been sour.  I've adjusted the OPV valve pressure, tried several different surfing techniques, tried different beans, different grinds, different tamps, and the end result is espresso that is sour to exceedingly sour.
The only thing I can drink out of this machine is a cappuccino.
You may be discounting this review, thinking I'm an idiot and your experience will be better.  (And I hope it is.)
But if you are new to espresso, this may be your experience, so stick with vendors with a liberal return policy.

Amazon always does a good job.  Machine arrived relatively quickly.  Paid a fair price.
The best part is their return policy. (No questions asked, I got the authorization online, and they pay the postage.)

Posted: February 12, 2011, 3:12pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.196525096893)