Francis Francis X1 - Louise Cochran's Review
Posted: March 30, 2002, 11:22am
Francis Francis X1

Arrow The Francis Francis X1 has 43 Reviews
Arrow The Francis Francis X1 has been rated 7.20 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Francis Francis X1 reviews have been viewed 247,053 times (updated hourly).

Scott Smith 8.75

Manufacturer: Francis! Francis! Quality: 10
Where Bought: Toronto, Canada (Ashleys) Aesthetics 10
Writer's Expertise: Advanced Would Buy Again: Yes
Similar Items Owned: Philips Pump driven machine
Bottom Line: Overall a beautiful and functional machine

Beautiful design, solid construction and a great frother.  The wait time between espresso extraction and heating the steamer is very short.

This machine can be finicky when using ground espresso and the spoon which serves as a tamper is not that great.  If you want to make espresso after using the frother, it takes a few minutes to cool down to the right temperature.

This is a great machine.  I had admired it for a long time and had to save up for it for 6 months but it was well worth it.  The deep blue colour I chose is beautiful but is being discontinued.  The thermostat is a useful a point of reference for knowing the right temperature for espresso and steaming the milk.  I've only had the machine for a month so I'm still experimenting with the grind.  It might take a while for a beginner to get used to using this machine, especially if they're not using pods, which may the reason for some of the negative reviews.  I found it fairly simple because I had used a Philips machine for 8 years.  Users need to learn about selecting the right grind, frothing, etc. before being comfortable using it.

I  had done almost all of my research on-line so all I had to do was call to order.  In Canada, this machine is hard to find and the price varies a lot between the few stores that carry it.

I still really enjoy and would recommend this machine.  Don't bother with pods, even Illy ones, they aren't half as good as grinding and using fresh beans.  I came across another booklet produced by the manufacturer with useful information; the espresso shouldn't take longer than 30 seconds to extract and the more you heat up your cup beforehand the faster the foam disappears.

Posted: March 30, 2002, 11:22am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.185097932816)