Francis Francis X1 - Douglas Peters's Review
Posted: December 1, 2002, 6:57am
Francis Francis X1

Arrow The Francis Francis X1 has 43 Reviews
Arrow The Francis Francis X1 has been rated 7.20 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow Francis Francis X1 reviews have been viewed 240,845 times (updated hourly).

Scott Smith 8.75
Patrick Moss 8.00
Josh Alwitt 8.00
Steve Strawman 8.00
Phil M 7.60

Manufacturer: Francis! Francis! Quality: 10
Where Bought: Coffee Shop in the Castro Aesthetics 10
Writer's Expertise: Aficionado Would Buy Again: Yes
Bottom Line: Slick, sleek, stylish...I love it.

Fast, easy, beautiful to look at.  It is an "arty" contribution to my kitchen-salon, and makes excellent espresso and steamed milk.

Messy, (when using ground coffee) and a little expensive.  I would like to control the heat of the espresso boiler myself, not have it pre-set at the factory.

Initially I could not get a crema with my own ground coffee, even with a burr grinder on its finest setting.  Canned Lavazza coffee, however, produced a crema.  So did Illy pods.  Confusing.  I thought I would get my best cup using Starbuck's Espresso beans and my own grinder, but I just don't get the crema I wanted UNLESS I run the second boiler (for steaming milk) for about 30 seconds and get the temp over 100 C.  THEN even my own grounds will produce a crema.  Interesting, hey?

I LOVE this machine.  I love its looks, I love the dual coffee system (using pods or grounds) and I love its speed.  I can make a latte in the morning in far less time than a press-pot or a drip machine.  Because I crawl out of bed in the morning towards my coffee this is particularly important to me.  I read some reviewers say it heats up in under 2 minutes.  Mine heats up in under one minute.  Just lucky, I guess.  It is easy to operate.  The switches are not labeled and this is only confusing to new users.  (Read the booklet, Ace.)  You flip a switch, if it is the wrong switch, flip it back.  No hair loss here.

This machine is a piece of art.  Its adds color and interest to my kitchen--the most important room in the house--if it is turned on or off.  People ask about it when they see it.  It is fun to demonstrate.

I bought it in a coffee shop on Castro Street.  They were closing them out so I got a great price.

Posted: December 1, 2002, 6:57am
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.181441783905)